Skip to main content

Creep-a-Day Challenge Day 28

Mother of the Year

This could easily be rendered into a cake. Hint-hint...


I bought this paper pulp pumpkin on clearance last year, not knowing what I'd make with it. As this month progressed, ideas ranged from a newspaper-covered pumpkin to a button-covered pumpkin to a googly eye-covered pumpkin.Staring at the naked pumpkin, the idea of the pumpkin being an egg sack both terrified and delighted me. The spider on top is the Mother of the Year for protecting her soon-to-be hatched hellions.

Supplies:
Paper pulp pumpkin
White acrylic paint
Black paint (I used a paint pen as well as acrylic)
Styrofoam ball
Crackle Glaze (I used Tim Holtz® Clear Distress Crackle Paint by Ranger®)

Tools:
Paint brush
Palette
Knife

The How:

I applied a thick layer of white paint over the pumpkin except for the stem. I only used one layer because I wanted a webby/woven appearance.


You won't need string for this one--this photo was before the spider idea took over my brain



















Thank goodness the egg sacs aren't this big in real life!





















I painted the stem black and made a circle of black around it for the body then in the grooves down the side of the pumpkin, I drew lines for the legs.



Meh...too one-dimensional




After staring at it a while, I didn't like the small body so I enlarged the black area and added a head and made the leg lines fuller.













Still unsatisfied, I took a Styrofoam ball and cut it in half. I applied black paint to the exterior of the ball and let it dry. Once dry, I applied a little white glue to the stem and shoved it into the flat side of the "body." The head painted on the pumpkin didn't look right so I sculpted a small roundish head out of the scrap of Styrofoam and painted it black. I attached it to the body via a black stir straw. I added two rhinestones for eyes and a spider was born!

To finish it off, I added a layer of crackle glaze just on the white part of the pumpkin. I think it turned out okay and I'm probably going to have weird dreams about spiders dragging their egg sacs across the bedroom floor. *shudders*
Her other babies can't wait to meet the newest hellions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WIP Wednesday: Multiple Projects, Little Workspace

March is here and I'm hoping that means spring is just about here. I'm tired of being cold all the time! I sure do miss those warm Arizona days ... and the smell of orange blossoms.

Right now, I've got three projects going on my work table and am really enjoying my progress and the process.

'Secondhand Angel' is a broken bisque doll with brass wings, a monocle frame for a halo and a brass candle holder as a base. She's the antithesis of my 'Handsome Devil' and I love her for her simplicity.









'Pride' is another of my 'Seven Deadly Sins' pieces and he's a wee bisque doll who wears a base metal crown to show his importance but he isn't big enough to fit his ornate pedestal, a brass vase. He's done, except for maybe a clear coat of paint.




The last is an untitled piece and it's another Halloween clock assemblage. This one will feature an unconventional seating arrangement ... I don't want to spoil the surprise!

WIP Wednesday: A Cozy Fire

This little number is almost complete and I just want to shrink myself down so I can live in it! There was a lot of trial and error, but I think it is turning out great and I've learned a few things along the journey. There aren't a lot of "in-progress" photos because my hands were pretty inky while making it and I didn't want to ruin my camera or phone. Here's the low-down so far:



Supplies:
***All of the supplies for this project so far are Tim Holtz except for the LED lights and acrylic paints***
Vignette Tray (large)
Vignette Box
Vignette Frame
Vignette Hardware
Tiny Vials
Corked Vials
Bouquet
Skulls
Baroque Frame
Mini Pocket Watches
Lantern
Boneyard
Halloween Paper Stash (2017 and 2018)
Alcohol Inks in Gunmetal, Watermelon, Jet Black, Terra Cotta
Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany, Candied Apple, Black Soot, Walnut Stain
Distress Collage Medium in Vintage
Perfect Pearls Gold
Scraps of cardboard packaging from the Sanding Block
T…

31 Tags of Halloween: Tag 31

My hands didn't bleed today but boy are they still dry and angry. More lotion is on the menu tonight.

This tag turned out so cool! There were many, many "oopsie" moments, as always, but I'm happy with it!

Supplies used include Tim Holtz Halloween paper stash and ephemera, brads, and stars. I used Distress Ink in Carved Pumpkin, Walnut Stain, and Black Soot and my Distress Marker in Black Soot too. Glossy Accents was my glue of choice and I typed up all of the text and images and printed them out on regular printer paper. There was one piece of Tim Holtz Collector Layers I used because the paper was a nice heft.

First, I traced and cut out my tag.

I flipped the Collector Layers piece over and traced out my pencil cup because the circle is wider than my tag. This is going to be my spinner piece. I cut it out and sectioned it out into eight wedges. I cut out the printed images and glued them to my spinner and then added Walnut Stain ink then used a thumb tack to make a …