Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from 2020

Into the Woods

Our state is officially on a 'shelter in place' order and my little pumpkin diorama is complete! There was a lot of finger crossing going on while making the end bits, but thankfully, everything turned out great.

Supplies:
Aves Apoxie Clay
Model Trees
Black Acrylic Paint
Tim Holtz Boneyard
Tim Holtz Skull Fragments
Tim Holtz Tiny Lights
Clean Applesauce Cup
Thick Foam Sheet
White Paper
Shrinky Dink Paper (frosted)
E-6000
White Acrylic Paint

Tools:
Rotary Tool w/ Drill Bit
Paint Brush
Scissors
Plastic Paint Cup

First, I had to get the courage to drill a hole in the back of the pumpkin so I could feed the Tiny Lights through. Once I did, I had to widen it so the thicker plastic part of the strand would fit through.

Next, I kneaded the two-part Aves Apoxie and created a base inside the pumpkin. I added small balls of the clay to the trunks of the trees and then added them to the clay base, making sure they were anchored well and then smoothed out the raised areas. It took several…

WIP Wednesday: Into the Woods

I've been away from the blog but I've been really busy making new pieces. Since times are so uncertain and a little scary, I thought I'd get back and share some inspiration.

This project began with a very plain, very smooth black faux pumpkin diorama I snagged for about 90% off. It had a lovely black glitter interior and immediately, it made me think of a spooky Halloween night in the woods.


Supplies:
Faux pumpkin diorama
Hard Molding Paste
Sophisticated Finishes Rust Kit
White Gesso
Acrylic Paints:

Yellow OxideTransparent Burnt UmberQuinacridone Nickel Azo GoldQuinacridone CrimsonPhthalocyanine Blue (Green Shade) Tools:
Metal Pick
Paint Brushes
Plastic Paint Palette
Plastic Paint Cup


The first thing I had to do for this project was add some texture to the pumpkin and it's stem. There wasn't much product left in my tub of molding paste so I just reached on in and grabbed as much as I could and patted it all over the pumpkin where I wanted dimension. I added quite a …