Skip to main content

Creep-a-Day Challenge Day 1

Creepy Jar w/ Tea Light 

I saw similar lights on Pinterest and thought, “I want to make those too!” After reading various blogs and watching video tutorials, I experimented with supplies I had on hand and the results were pretty cool, but very time-consuming. I came up with a very quick and easy method to make them. Perfect for this challenge!

  • You might want to cover your work surface with newspapers so if you spill the inks, you don’t stain anything. (mind your hands as well…the inks can stain your skin)
  • The ink contains alcohol so make sure you use it in a well-ventilated area and don’t use it near heat or open flames. 
  • Not food safe! Don’t use the finished jars to store ANY food items. 
  • Clean the finished jars with a dry cloth. I’m not sure how water resistant the inks are.
1 clean glass jar (either store-bought or recycled)
Alcohol ink (I used Tim Holtz® Adirondack® Alcohol Inks)
1 LED candle (I used a tea light)
A sense of adventure

The How:

A jar and some ink. What could go wrong?
Make sure your jar is indeed clean and dry. If you have trouble removing labels, adhesive, or ink date stamps, try using a rubbing alcohol-soaked paper towel to remove them. Set jar on your covered work surface, mouth-side-up.

Choose the color scheme you want your finished product to have. My favorite combination is Mushroom and Red Pepper for a nice dried blood look.

Adding "Mushroom"

Open the bottle of Mushroom ink and press the tip of the applicator against the inside rim of the jar. Let the ink flow down the sides, turning the jar while you do so. (don’t squeeze the bottle too hard—you’ll waste ink!) If you see any bare spots, carefully tip the jar slightly on its side to move the excess ink to the bare spots. Close the bottle tightly.

Let the ink dry.

Letting the jar dry

Here we go!
Once it is dry to the touch (a small pool of ink in the bottom of the jar is okay), open up the bottle of Red Pepper ink and add just a few drops of the ink by pressing the applicator tip against the inside rim of the jar and letting a bit drip down the sides. Do not turn the jar! Move the tip to another spot along the rim and repeat. Do this randomly until you are satisfied with the appearance. Close the bottle tightly.

Looks too stripey, lets add more mushroom!
Let the ink dry.

Looks like it is congealing nicely!
Once the inks blend and dry, it will have a different appearance. If you feel it needs more red or brown, carefully add drops of your desired color in just those areas. You’ll just tip the jar to the side and squeeze one drop of ink out, holding the jar in place for a few moments to let some of the ink evaporate so you don’t have a large drip of color.

The "dregs" in the bottom of the jar!


Make sure your inks are completely dry then turn on your LED candle and place it inside. Viola! A creepy candle! Each jar is unique, just like you.


Popular posts from this blog

WIP Wednesday: Multiple Projects, Little Workspace

March is here and I'm hoping that means spring is just about here. I'm tired of being cold all the time! I sure do miss those warm Arizona days ... and the smell of orange blossoms.

Right now, I've got three projects going on my work table and am really enjoying my progress and the process.

'Secondhand Angel' is a broken bisque doll with brass wings, a monocle frame for a halo and a brass candle holder as a base. She's the antithesis of my 'Handsome Devil' and I love her for her simplicity.

'Pride' is another of my 'Seven Deadly Sins' pieces and he's a wee bisque doll who wears a base metal crown to show his importance but he isn't big enough to fit his ornate pedestal, a brass vase. He's done, except for maybe a clear coat of paint.

The last is an untitled piece and it's another Halloween clock assemblage. This one will feature an unconventional seating arrangement ... I don't want to spoil the surprise!

WIP Wednesday: A Cozy Fire

This little number is almost complete and I just want to shrink myself down so I can live in it! There was a lot of trial and error, but I think it is turning out great and I've learned a few things along the journey. There aren't a lot of "in-progress" photos because my hands were pretty inky while making it and I didn't want to ruin my camera or phone. Here's the low-down so far:

***All of the supplies for this project so far are Tim Holtz except for the LED lights and acrylic paints***
Vignette Tray (large)
Vignette Box
Vignette Frame
Vignette Hardware
Tiny Vials
Corked Vials
Baroque Frame
Mini Pocket Watches
Halloween Paper Stash (2017 and 2018)
Alcohol Inks in Gunmetal, Watermelon, Jet Black, Terra Cotta
Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany, Candied Apple, Black Soot, Walnut Stain
Distress Collage Medium in Vintage
Perfect Pearls Gold
Scraps of cardboard packaging from the Sanding Block

Creepy Panels

While cleaning out my office a while back, I re-discovered a Shrinky Dink I made of a conjoined twin skeleton. Inspiration struck and I painted some panels and made more Shrinky Dinks to accompany the skeleton, then life got in the way of crafting and the bits sat on my desk. I decided today's Snow Day task would be to finish these Creepy Panels.

The bases of these unique wall hangings are Tim Holtz Burlap Panels with a layer of black acrylic paint.

I used the same black paint to dry brush the fronts of  Tim Holtz Vignette Panels and painted their sides solid black.

While paint dried, I broke out my Shrink Dink paper and traced out old anatomical drawings of skulls, bones, and even a spider using a black Sharpie marker. I cut them out and baked them to make cool tiles.

The white wasn't working for me so I used Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in Mushroom on the shiny side of the plastic to give it an aged look. The skull in the lower right corner was a boo boo - I added the Alcohol Ink …