Skip to main content

Creep-a-Day Challenge Day 19

The Spider's Wreath

Simple yet sinister

I hate spiders. I do. Big or small...I do not like them. I knew I wanted to do a creepy wreath and nothing says creepy to me than a big, fat, fuzzy spider. This spider I found reminds me of the one the hubs and I encountered in the desert while camping once...yeah, creepy.

Supplies:
Grapevine wreath
Halloween drape
Fake spider
4 silk flowers
Black wire

Tools:
Wire cutters

The How:

When I planned out most of this month, I wanted to use things I had on hand. A few years back I tried my hand at a spooky snake wreath and the end result was languishing in the basement. So I removed the snakes and had myself a wreath.
What you will need...




















That grapevine really likes to snag things!


I opened the Halloween fabric drape (scored at the dollar store!) and wound it over and under the wreath.
This was tricky because the grapevine kept tangling with the open webbing of the fabric. Once I had it draped the way I liked it, I cut three 4-inch long pieces of wire and  wired it in place on the left, right, and bottom of the wreath.

I cut a 12-inch long piece of wire and secured it around the spiders body. This was not pleasant. Then I wired it to the wreath.

I cut another 12-inch long piece of wire and created a loop to hang the wreath from and it looked great, it was finished...but you couldn't really see the spider.

A little beauty to the creepy.




There is a storage bin in my basement with odds and ends and I remembered there were a bunch of purple silk flowers in it. I snagged four and cut the stems off so that about 2 inches of stem remained.


















Too close!


I tucked the stems into the body of the frame, the grapevine holding them in securely--no glue needed!

















Hopefully the wreath won't invite any little "friends" to live in it.
This might give me nightmares...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WIP Wednesday: Multiple Projects, Little Workspace

March is here and I'm hoping that means spring is just about here. I'm tired of being cold all the time! I sure do miss those warm Arizona days ... and the smell of orange blossoms.

Right now, I've got three projects going on my work table and am really enjoying my progress and the process.

'Secondhand Angel' is a broken bisque doll with brass wings, a monocle frame for a halo and a brass candle holder as a base. She's the antithesis of my 'Handsome Devil' and I love her for her simplicity.









'Pride' is another of my 'Seven Deadly Sins' pieces and he's a wee bisque doll who wears a base metal crown to show his importance but he isn't big enough to fit his ornate pedestal, a brass vase. He's done, except for maybe a clear coat of paint.




The last is an untitled piece and it's another Halloween clock assemblage. This one will feature an unconventional seating arrangement ... I don't want to spoil the surprise!

WIP Wednesday: A Cozy Fire

This little number is almost complete and I just want to shrink myself down so I can live in it! There was a lot of trial and error, but I think it is turning out great and I've learned a few things along the journey. There aren't a lot of "in-progress" photos because my hands were pretty inky while making it and I didn't want to ruin my camera or phone. Here's the low-down so far:



Supplies:
***All of the supplies for this project so far are Tim Holtz except for the LED lights and acrylic paints***
Vignette Tray (large)
Vignette Box
Vignette Frame
Vignette Hardware
Tiny Vials
Corked Vials
Bouquet
Skulls
Baroque Frame
Mini Pocket Watches
Lantern
Boneyard
Halloween Paper Stash (2017 and 2018)
Alcohol Inks in Gunmetal, Watermelon, Jet Black, Terra Cotta
Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany, Candied Apple, Black Soot, Walnut Stain
Distress Collage Medium in Vintage
Perfect Pearls Gold
Scraps of cardboard packaging from the Sanding Block
T…

Creepy Panels

While cleaning out my office a while back, I re-discovered a Shrinky Dink I made of a conjoined twin skeleton. Inspiration struck and I painted some panels and made more Shrinky Dinks to accompany the skeleton, then life got in the way of crafting and the bits sat on my desk. I decided today's Snow Day task would be to finish these Creepy Panels.


The bases of these unique wall hangings are Tim Holtz Burlap Panels with a layer of black acrylic paint.

I used the same black paint to dry brush the fronts of  Tim Holtz Vignette Panels and painted their sides solid black.

While paint dried, I broke out my Shrink Dink paper and traced out old anatomical drawings of skulls, bones, and even a spider using a black Sharpie marker. I cut them out and baked them to make cool tiles.

The white wasn't working for me so I used Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in Mushroom on the shiny side of the plastic to give it an aged look. The skull in the lower right corner was a boo boo - I added the Alcohol Ink …