Skip to main content

Creep-a-Day Challenge Day 22

His and Hers Coffins

Creeptastic!
Today was a rough crafting day! I didn't sleep much and I had a 6:30 a.m. blood draw for our yearly wellness thing at work. All day I've been tired, cranky, and a bit sore but hey, the crafts must go on. I mean...I've gone 21 days. I can't say "eff it" with ten days left. Anywho...

I found these little wooden coffins at a craft store and the price was right, so I bought them. I didn't know what they would contain, but I had a vague idea. Deep in my sticker and embellishment horde, I had these cute die cuts I bought almost ten years ago and I figured it would be good to use them.

Supplies:
Two pre-made wooden coffins
Black acrylic paint
Glossy Accents
Halloween embellishments of your choice
Silver Sharpie marker

Tools:
Paint brushes
Palette
Waxed paper or paper towels

The How:

That's a hot mess right there...
Cover your work station with either paper towel or waxed paper. I forgot the waxed paper so used some
paper towels.

I sorted through the embellishments until I found a couple of ghosts and some bones. I wanted to use the skeletons, but they didn't fit in the coffins and I didn't feel like cutting them apart. Not today.







I squeezed out some paint onto my palette and painted the interior of the coffins first. By the time the second coffin was done, I could move onto the outside of the first coffin. I let them dry completely, adding paint to any bare spots, but I only did one coat. That's pretty much all I could muster today, sorry!

A squiggle of glue...
Next, I glued the ghosts into each coffin with Glossy Accents, putting a different side face-up for contrast. With the ghosts in place, I put a thin layer of Glossy Accents over the whole ghost and to the edges of the coffin floor. I let this dry completely.
















They look surprised














A haunting we will go!


It seemed bare, so I added a bone to the inside of the coffin lid but didn't coat it with Glossy Accents.


















I wanted to add something to the coffin exteriors, but had no other supplies or ideas so I took a walk to our bookstore where they carry metallic Sharpies. I tested a small dot of silver on the back of the coffin and liked the result so I added flourishes to the sides of the lid and wrote "RIP" on the top of the lids. The hinges were too shiny for me so I colored a layer of the Sharpie over them and I like how it gave it a more matte look. Not sure how long that will last.

There you have it, his and hers coffins to store small odds and ends.
Maybe I'll hide candy in the coffins...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

31 Tags of Halloween: Day 6

Oh my goodness, today started off badly. I'm not feeling so great, but I have to power through this little challenge, so here we are. I'm grateful that I at least have the day off to wallow in crankiness.

Initially, I wanted to make a ghostly tag and have some cool stickers on it that spell out 'Boo' but as with most projects, things took a turn...

I grabbed a tag, some nice Tim Holtz Halloween paper, those cool stickers, a Tim Holtz Paper Doll, Ranger Pigment Ink in Glacier White, Distress ink in Tea Dye, Glossy Accents, cheesecloth, and my favorite Tim Holtz tree stamp.



I inked up the stamp in Tea Dye, but it was lighter than I remembered. I grabbed some Distress ink in Walnut Stain and added lowlights and edged the card really well.

I dabbed the Glacier White over the paper doll to give her a very faded appearance. As she dried, I inked my stamp in Glacier White and stamped it onto my tag. Ghostly, but too ghostly. My heart sank. I grabbed my Archival ink in Black a…

31 Tags of Halloween: Day 12

Today's tag was really begun last night and finished today. I'm not feeling very well today so I'm at home taking it easy. I decided to make a shaker tag when a piece of Tim Holtz packaging caught my eye and I'm planning on submitting it to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge "Not a Card" this week.

Let me start by saying that I haven't ever made a shaker card or tag before but inspiration struck me and I cobbled together something a little different...and definitely not a card!

My supplies included a tag, Tim Holtz Halloween paper stash, Tim Holtz Vignette Panel, Distress Stain in Hickory Smoke, Distress Ink in Black Soot, Distress Marker in Black Soot, Glossy Accents, Tim Holtz Collage Medium, Tim Holtz Halloween ephemera Eye doctor, Tim Holtz Pumpkin Pieces plastic packaging, Distress Clear Rock Candy glitter, black glitter paper (from my stash), E6000 glue, Tim Holtz metal word band, Tim Holtz Halloween Trimmings, and black creepy drape fabric.

Fir…

31 Tags of Halloween: Days 14 and 15

Yesterday, I didn't craft at all because I hosted my 2nd Annual Haunted Open House! It was such a fun day with lots of visitors and some of my creations went off to very good homes. By the end of the day I was 100% spent so I decided to just make two tags today.

I'm pretty tired and I didn't get any process photos either but I'll do better tomorrow!

Tag 14 is a spooked black cat that I made using Tim Holtz Halloween ephemera, Tim Holtz Halloween Clippings stickers, Distress Marker in Black Soot, and Distress Ink in Carved Pumpkin and Lucky Clover.

I inked the entire tag with Carved Pumpkin and edged in Lucky Clover. I edged the cat ephemera in the Black Soot marker and added it to the tag with Glossy Accents.

I edged the stickers in Lucky Clover and added Glossy Accents to the back to help it stay on better.

Tag 15 was a bit of trial and error. I used Distress Ink in Wilted Violet and Black Soot Archival in black, a Tim Holtz Halloween Clippings sticker, and Glossy Acc…