Skip to main content

Posts

Creepy Panels

While cleaning out my office a while back, I re-discovered a Shrinky Dink I made of a conjoined twin skeleton. Inspiration struck and I painted some panels and made more Shrinky Dinks to accompany the skeleton, then life got in the way of crafting and the bits sat on my desk. I decided today's Snow Day task would be to finish these Creepy Panels.


The bases of these unique wall hangings are Tim Holtz Burlap Panels with a layer of black acrylic paint.

I used the same black paint to dry brush the fronts of  Tim Holtz Vignette Panels and painted their sides solid black.

While paint dried, I broke out my Shrink Dink paper and traced out old anatomical drawings of skulls, bones, and even a spider using a black Sharpie marker. I cut them out and baked them to make cool tiles.

The white wasn't working for me so I used Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in Mushroom on the shiny side of the plastic to give it an aged look. The skull in the lower right corner was a boo boo - I added the Alcohol Ink …
Recent posts

Lore of the Vampire: The End

If you've been watching the progress of this piece, thank you! If you're new, thanks for stopping by - you can see the process in Part I and Part II.

The glass vial I used is a Tim Holtz Idea-ology Corked Vial. I used Distress Stain in Walnut Stain on the cork itself to make it dark and added a few drops of Ranger Blending Solution along with Adirondack Alcohol Inks in Sail Blue and the Silver Mixative then let the colors swirl and coat the inside of the glass.

While the alcohol inks dried, I added a few drops of E-6000 to the back of an antique crucifix donated to the cause by my wonderful hubby. I set it in place and let it cure.

With the alcohol inks dry, I corked the vial and added E-6000 to the back of the vial and set it in place as well.
I'm over the moon with how this piece turned out and hope it finds a good home very soon.

I've already begun a small collection of new pieces and will be sharing the progress soon.



WIP Wednesday: Lore of the Vampire Part II

After deliberating for a few days, I decided the optic lens wasn't right for the feel of this piece. I grabbed by last bit of Aves Apoxie Clay and created two moon shapes.

While they cured, I put some of my favorite chunky vintage-style glass glitter into a plastic bowl and added Ranger Alcohol Ink in Pitch Black. I stirred the ink into the glitter but the color wasn't black, it was more of a purple. I added Teakwood and Indigo and stirred until I was happy with the color. I let it dry.


Once the moons cured, I added two coats of white acrylic paint.


While the paint dried, I added Distress Collage Medium (matte) to the inside corners of the coffin. I added the dry glitter and pressed it into place. I dumped out the excess glitter onto waxed paper and transferred it back into the plastic bowl. The bits of brown in the glitter make me think it is grave soil.

I played around with Distress Stains in Hickory Smoke, Brushed Pewter, and Picket Fence until the moon looked just right.

Change is Good

For the last month or so, I've been really looking at my blog and thinking it is time to freshen it up a bit. I'm nervous and excited and hope it looks how I'm imagining it to.

One big part that will change is Free Fiction Fridays. A writer friend recently share that another writer's free fiction was "borrowed" by someone and is now in production as a television series. Not that I've shared a lot or that anything I've shared has people flocking to steal it, I just want to protect what I've created. I'm looking at other ways to share free fiction with readers so stay tuned!

I want to get back into the Maker's Mondays and WIP Wednesdays more as well. 

While I'm updating the blog, it just makes good sense to update my web page as well. My goal is to have it all spiffy by April. I hope you'll stick with me!

WIP Wednesday: Lore of the Vampire

I've got another project in the works and of course, it will be perfect for Halloween or for fans of vampires. It all started with the Tim Holtz Vignette Coffin and watching Dracula (the Bela Lugosi version, of course!). Van Helsing not seeing the Count in the mirror and the Count's violent reaction were the little spark that triggered my imagination. I envisioned a grungy mirror inside the Vignette Coffin with the rays if the sun, bats, a cross, and stake...

After thinking about cutting glass and how clumsy I am, I looked at different sheets of glass at the craft. A nice antique glass called to me and as I held it in my hands, I spotted a sheet of plexiglass. I carefully returned the glass to its niche and snatched up the plexiglass.

Pinterest inspired me and I put the plexiglass over the coffin, tracing the interior edge onto the acrylic. The material was thin enough to cut with scissors. I removed the protective coating from one side and added Tim Holtz Blending Solution an…

Harvest Time is Over

I've finally completed "Harvest Time," my altered Tim Holtz Idea-Ology Assemblage Clock. This piece was quite the labor of love and when I was just to the end, I tore it apart. You can see where I left off here.

Looking at the clock, it was nice, but it needed something behind it and the layer of bones below seemed hollow and lonely.

I decided to make a tree. First, I used a Tim Holtz tree wooden block stamp that I think may be discontinued. The shape of the tree was what I wanted but cutting it out onto paper it didn't look so hot. I decided to make my own and got some Aves Apoxie clay and used the stamp as a guide. When it was done, I added texture by running a metal pick over the trunk and branches. There was leftover clay so I made two more pumpkins to fill the clock.

While the clay cured, I decided I wanted hay around the pumpkins in the clock. This was a disaster - the platform was already glued in place and I was so caught up in the moment of crafting, I didn&…