Skip to main content

31 Tags of Halloween: Day 8

Got home late from a wedding in Wisconsin and am feeling a bit groggy this morning but I've made myself a pair of earrings and Tag 8 is complete! As usual, things went a bit sideways, but I'm happy with the end results.

I started with a tag and no ideas. I grabbed some Archival Ink in Red Geranium because I've never used it. I thought it would be more of a rust color but it is more bloody than anything. I edged the tag in Distress Black Soot.


I added more Black Soot to the tag background to add lowlights.

Next, I edged a dapper skelly piece of Tim Holtz Halloween ephemera. It was still to white and bright so I added some Antique Linen to grunge it up. I did the same with a piece of ephemera that says 'POISON.'
My glue of choice for the skelly was Glossy Accents.

I wanted some dimension so I added foam dots to the back of the POISON ephemera. I added it to the card and instantly hated it. The reds clashed too much for me.

I sifted through my ephemera and found a smaller piece in black which I liked better but it was so small. That's when I decided to use my last Tim Holtz ornate plate. The opening of the plate was larger than the POISON paper so I grabbed a scrap of Tim Holtz Lost and Found stash and used it for a background. I glued down the POISON paper to the scrapbook paper and added Antique Linen then cut the combo to fit behind the plate.

I set the plate in place on the tag and traced out the holes so I could used my 1/8 inch hole punch. With the holes punched, I added Glossy Accents to the back of the plate and set it in place and added the brads.

I like the black much better than the red and I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture before taking that ephemera off.








As another bonus today, here's the crazy earrings I made for myself with some Swarovski crystals and two one-of-a-kind "Spiky Things" created by the lovely and talented Tanya McGuire!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WIP Wednesday: Multiple Projects, Little Workspace

March is here and I'm hoping that means spring is just about here. I'm tired of being cold all the time! I sure do miss those warm Arizona days ... and the smell of orange blossoms.

Right now, I've got three projects going on my work table and am really enjoying my progress and the process.

'Secondhand Angel' is a broken bisque doll with brass wings, a monocle frame for a halo and a brass candle holder as a base. She's the antithesis of my 'Handsome Devil' and I love her for her simplicity.









'Pride' is another of my 'Seven Deadly Sins' pieces and he's a wee bisque doll who wears a base metal crown to show his importance but he isn't big enough to fit his ornate pedestal, a brass vase. He's done, except for maybe a clear coat of paint.




The last is an untitled piece and it's another Halloween clock assemblage. This one will feature an unconventional seating arrangement ... I don't want to spoil the surprise!

WIP Wednesday: A Cozy Fire

This little number is almost complete and I just want to shrink myself down so I can live in it! There was a lot of trial and error, but I think it is turning out great and I've learned a few things along the journey. There aren't a lot of "in-progress" photos because my hands were pretty inky while making it and I didn't want to ruin my camera or phone. Here's the low-down so far:



Supplies:
***All of the supplies for this project so far are Tim Holtz except for the LED lights and acrylic paints***
Vignette Tray (large)
Vignette Box
Vignette Frame
Vignette Hardware
Tiny Vials
Corked Vials
Bouquet
Skulls
Baroque Frame
Mini Pocket Watches
Lantern
Boneyard
Halloween Paper Stash (2017 and 2018)
Alcohol Inks in Gunmetal, Watermelon, Jet Black, Terra Cotta
Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany, Candied Apple, Black Soot, Walnut Stain
Distress Collage Medium in Vintage
Perfect Pearls Gold
Scraps of cardboard packaging from the Sanding Block
T…

Creepy Panels

While cleaning out my office a while back, I re-discovered a Shrinky Dink I made of a conjoined twin skeleton. Inspiration struck and I painted some panels and made more Shrinky Dinks to accompany the skeleton, then life got in the way of crafting and the bits sat on my desk. I decided today's Snow Day task would be to finish these Creepy Panels.


The bases of these unique wall hangings are Tim Holtz Burlap Panels with a layer of black acrylic paint.

I used the same black paint to dry brush the fronts of  Tim Holtz Vignette Panels and painted their sides solid black.

While paint dried, I broke out my Shrink Dink paper and traced out old anatomical drawings of skulls, bones, and even a spider using a black Sharpie marker. I cut them out and baked them to make cool tiles.

The white wasn't working for me so I used Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in Mushroom on the shiny side of the plastic to give it an aged look. The skull in the lower right corner was a boo boo - I added the Alcohol Ink …