Skip to main content

31 Tags of Halloween: Day 30

So I wanted today's and tomorrow's tags to be special and practiced making a tag on Sunday. It seemed to work okay, so I modified it to fit today's...but it didn't turn out right. I kind of forgot that there's a hole at the top of each tag. I ended up scrapping and salvaging bits from a complete tag to make a fun tag with movement!

Supplies I used include white cardstock, Tim Holtz Halloween paper stash, Halloween ephemera skeleton, Halloween Clippings, Distress Marker and Ink in Black Soot, and Glossy Accents. 

I traced my trashed tag out onto cardstock and cut it out, making sure to make a hole up top. Then I traced and cut out the cobweb paper.

I decapitated my skeleton and edged it and the skull in marker then glued just his body to the cobweb paper. 

Just above the cut mark, I made a dot on the cobweb paper and used my pen knife to cut out a long rectangle channel. I cut a long strip of cobweb paper just slightly thinner than the cut. I dry fitted it into the channel and made sure it didn't get hung up anywhere.

Next, I glued the end of the thin strip to the back of the skull where his jaw is. Once dry, I edged the strip in marker and inserted the skull through the slot sideways and then straightened him out. I moved the long strip up and down to make sure it moved pretty freely.

I got another piece of cobweb paper and glued it to the cardstock where my cut-out channel would be so you didn't see white space. I then glued the top and sides only of the back of the cobweb paper onto the cardstock tag. I made sure everything was lined up and tested the skull to make sure it could move easily. I trimmed the thin strip so about an inch hung down from the tag.

Satisfied, I cut out a wider strip of cobweb paper and folded it in half. I opened the fold, added glue, and glued the thin strip in place. This wider strip got edged with marker as well.

I punched a hole in the tag and edged it in ink. Finally, I edged a sticker in ink and added Glossy Accents to the back for extra hold.

Four strands of black and white jute were used for the string.



I love how this little guy turned out and I can't wait to try this with other tags and cards! Bird Crazy could be fun! Stay tuned...

Visit my Carey Bee Crafts Facebook page to see video of this skelly losing his head over Halloween!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WIP Wednesday: Multiple Projects, Little Workspace

March is here and I'm hoping that means spring is just about here. I'm tired of being cold all the time! I sure do miss those warm Arizona days ... and the smell of orange blossoms.

Right now, I've got three projects going on my work table and am really enjoying my progress and the process.

'Secondhand Angel' is a broken bisque doll with brass wings, a monocle frame for a halo and a brass candle holder as a base. She's the antithesis of my 'Handsome Devil' and I love her for her simplicity.









'Pride' is another of my 'Seven Deadly Sins' pieces and he's a wee bisque doll who wears a base metal crown to show his importance but he isn't big enough to fit his ornate pedestal, a brass vase. He's done, except for maybe a clear coat of paint.




The last is an untitled piece and it's another Halloween clock assemblage. This one will feature an unconventional seating arrangement ... I don't want to spoil the surprise!

WIP Wednesday: A Cozy Fire

This little number is almost complete and I just want to shrink myself down so I can live in it! There was a lot of trial and error, but I think it is turning out great and I've learned a few things along the journey. There aren't a lot of "in-progress" photos because my hands were pretty inky while making it and I didn't want to ruin my camera or phone. Here's the low-down so far:



Supplies:
***All of the supplies for this project so far are Tim Holtz except for the LED lights and acrylic paints***
Vignette Tray (large)
Vignette Box
Vignette Frame
Vignette Hardware
Tiny Vials
Corked Vials
Bouquet
Skulls
Baroque Frame
Mini Pocket Watches
Lantern
Boneyard
Halloween Paper Stash (2017 and 2018)
Alcohol Inks in Gunmetal, Watermelon, Jet Black, Terra Cotta
Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany, Candied Apple, Black Soot, Walnut Stain
Distress Collage Medium in Vintage
Perfect Pearls Gold
Scraps of cardboard packaging from the Sanding Block
T…

Creepy Panels

While cleaning out my office a while back, I re-discovered a Shrinky Dink I made of a conjoined twin skeleton. Inspiration struck and I painted some panels and made more Shrinky Dinks to accompany the skeleton, then life got in the way of crafting and the bits sat on my desk. I decided today's Snow Day task would be to finish these Creepy Panels.


The bases of these unique wall hangings are Tim Holtz Burlap Panels with a layer of black acrylic paint.

I used the same black paint to dry brush the fronts of  Tim Holtz Vignette Panels and painted their sides solid black.

While paint dried, I broke out my Shrink Dink paper and traced out old anatomical drawings of skulls, bones, and even a spider using a black Sharpie marker. I cut them out and baked them to make cool tiles.

The white wasn't working for me so I used Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in Mushroom on the shiny side of the plastic to give it an aged look. The skull in the lower right corner was a boo boo - I added the Alcohol Ink …