Skip to main content

31 Tags of Halloween: Day 24

I had no inspiration this morning so I sifted through my Tim Holtz Ancestors paper dolls and found the creepy old man and the gangly boy and thought, "That boy should be holding something..."

In addition to the lack of inspiration, I had some 'oopsie' moments with this tag.

First, I assembled a tag, Tim Holtz Halloween paper stash, Halloween Clippings, Halloween Trimmings, Ancestors, Glossy Accents, and Distress Ink and Marker in Black Soot.

I traced and cut out my tag onto the background paper and glued it to the tag with Glossy Accents then edged it in Black Soot.

I edged the boy in the marker and cut the old man's head off with scissors. Just putting the head under the boy's hand didn't look right so I grabbed my utility knife and cut a slit between his thumb and index finger. I glued the boy to the tag but left his hand glueless. I added foam dots to the back of the head to give it some dimension and slid him into the cut I made, adding a drop of Glossy Accents to the hand to make it stay put.

Here's where the tag took a bad turn. I had cut out a shape from a piece of Halloween paper, added some Clippings stickers, and glued it onto the tag, but it looked dumb. I added some skulls cut out from the skull and crossbones paper but that made it worse. Rather than remove it and tear the tag, I decided to glue a shape on top of it. I edged it in Black Soot and added another Clippings sticker then smudged Black Soot all over it. 

I added a ribbon but still think it needs a little something. I might go through my stash at home and come up with something.


In the meantime, I'm going to take a deep whiff of my Pumpkin Caramel Drizzle candle from Swan Creek Candles and relax because Halloween is a week away!!! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Muffin Tins Become Halloween Treats

I purchased two vintage muffin tins to hold charms and beads at sales but don't really use them anymore. Rather than sell them off at a yard sale, I saw some inspiration on Pinterest so I made these two crusty, creepy Halloween decorations!




For the piece on the right, I didn't have step-by-step photos, but I'll list all the ingredients after the how-to for the one on the left.

Supplies:
Muffin tin
Distress Grit Paste
Distress Paint: Black Soot and Picket Fence
Distress Ink: Black Soot and Walnut Stain
Alcohol Ink: Mushroom, Gold Mixative and Pitch Black
Tim Holtz Transparent Tile (skulls only)
Tim Holtz Halloween paper stash (older version for cobweb designs and skeleton)
Tim Holtz Skulls
Tim Holtz Decorative Domes
Tim Holtz Word Key
Tim Holtz Tombstones
Glossy Accents
E6000
Foam dots
Moss
Plastic Spider
Vintage silver glass glitter
Cork vial of glitter
Twine

Tools:
Foam brush (small)
Cotton swabs
Scissors
Wire cutters (I use an old pair from jewelry-making)

First, I found…

Taking Flight

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge  is to make something Christmassy. Seems odd for October, but what can you do? 
I had an idea for a vintage plastic reindeer but as I assembled supplies, my idea shifted a bit. 
Supplies: Tim Holtz Vignette Tray Yupo Paper Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in Pitch Black Blending Solution Archival Ink in Jet Black Tim Holtz Tree Line Stamp Vintage Plastic Reindeer Acrylic Paint in Black Glossy Accents Recollections Vintage Glass Golden Glitter - previously dyed with the Alcohol Ink in Pitch Black E6000
I had the alcohol ink background from a previous project. First, I added a pool of Blending Solution to the Yupo paper and then added a few drops of the alcohol ink. I shifted the paper back and forth until about 3/4 of the paper was covered. I added more alcohol ink to make it a bit darker and shifted it again. 
Once dry, I added straight black alcohol ink to the white band for the horizon. After it was completely dry, I sealed with a few coats of …

WIP Wednesday: A Cozy Fire

This little number is almost complete and I just want to shrink myself down so I can live in it! There was a lot of trial and error, but I think it is turning out great and I've learned a few things along the journey. There aren't a lot of "in-progress" photos because my hands were pretty inky while making it and I didn't want to ruin my camera or phone. Here's the low-down so far:



Supplies:
***All of the supplies for this project so far are Tim Holtz except for the LED lights and acrylic paints***
Vignette Tray (large)
Vignette Box
Vignette Frame
Vignette Hardware
Tiny Vials
Corked Vials
Bouquet
Skulls
Baroque Frame
Mini Pocket Watches
Lantern
Boneyard
Halloween Paper Stash (2017 and 2018)
Alcohol Inks in Gunmetal, Watermelon, Jet Black, Terra Cotta
Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany, Candied Apple, Black Soot, Walnut Stain
Distress Collage Medium in Vintage
Perfect Pearls Gold
Scraps of cardboard packaging from the Sanding Block
T…