Skip to main content

WIP Wednesday: Into the Woods

I've been away from the blog but I've been really busy making new pieces. Since times are so uncertain and a little scary, I thought I'd get back and share some inspiration.

This project began with a very plain, very smooth black faux pumpkin diorama I snagged for about 90% off. It had a lovely black glitter interior and immediately, it made me think of a spooky Halloween night in the woods.


Supplies:
Faux pumpkin diorama
Hard Molding Paste
Sophisticated Finishes Rust Kit
White Gesso
Acrylic Paints:

  • Yellow Oxide
  • Transparent Burnt Umber
  • Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold
  • Quinacridone Crimson
  • Phthalocyanine Blue (Green Shade)
Tools:
Metal Pick
Paint Brushes
Plastic Paint Palette
Plastic Paint Cup


The first thing I had to do for this project was add some texture to the pumpkin and it's stem. There wasn't much product left in my tub of molding paste so I just reached on in and grabbed as much as I could and patted it all over the pumpkin where I wanted dimension. I added quite a bit to the stem and then added striations to it with a metal pick then set it all aside to dry overnight.




Next, I added a heavy layer of the iron paint from the rust kit over the molding paste. After it dried, I brushed on the rusting solution and set it aside overnight again.





I dry brushed on the gesso and let it all dry again.




I had to really fiddle with the color wash over the pumpkin part to find colors I liked. Basically, I started with just a wash of the crimson, but it just looked pink. I added quite a bit of the nickel azo gold and made it a thicker wash - perfect! As that layer dried, I added more crimson to the wash and added this shade in a few spots to give a more varied coloration overall.



Once the pumpkin was dry, I moved to the stem. I blended the blue and yellow oxide to create a deep, mossy green. I dry brushed this over the stem and once dry, I added some burnt umber to darken it up and added some low lights.

Now that it is dry, I let my mind wander and came up with this little vignette to go along with the trees. Next step is to create a unique light source and add all the interior bits and pieces.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Muffin Tins Become Halloween Treats

I purchased two vintage muffin tins to hold charms and beads at sales but don't really use them anymore. Rather than sell them off at a yard sale, I saw some inspiration on Pinterest so I made these two crusty, creepy Halloween decorations!




For the piece on the right, I didn't have step-by-step photos, but I'll list all the ingredients after the how-to for the one on the left.

Supplies:
Muffin tin
Distress Grit Paste
Distress Paint: Black Soot and Picket Fence
Distress Ink: Black Soot and Walnut Stain
Alcohol Ink: Mushroom, Gold Mixative and Pitch Black
Tim Holtz Transparent Tile (skulls only)
Tim Holtz Halloween paper stash (older version for cobweb designs and skeleton)
Tim Holtz Skulls
Tim Holtz Decorative Domes
Tim Holtz Word Key
Tim Holtz Tombstones
Glossy Accents
E6000
Foam dots
Moss
Plastic Spider
Vintage silver glass glitter
Cork vial of glitter
Twine

Tools:
Foam brush (small)
Cotton swabs
Scissors
Wire cutters (I use an old pair from jewelry-making)

First, I found…

Taking Flight

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge  is to make something Christmassy. Seems odd for October, but what can you do? 
I had an idea for a vintage plastic reindeer but as I assembled supplies, my idea shifted a bit. 
Supplies: Tim Holtz Vignette Tray Yupo Paper Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in Pitch Black Blending Solution Archival Ink in Jet Black Tim Holtz Tree Line Stamp Vintage Plastic Reindeer Acrylic Paint in Black Glossy Accents Recollections Vintage Glass Golden Glitter - previously dyed with the Alcohol Ink in Pitch Black E6000
I had the alcohol ink background from a previous project. First, I added a pool of Blending Solution to the Yupo paper and then added a few drops of the alcohol ink. I shifted the paper back and forth until about 3/4 of the paper was covered. I added more alcohol ink to make it a bit darker and shifted it again. 
Once dry, I added straight black alcohol ink to the white band for the horizon. After it was completely dry, I sealed with a few coats of …

WIP Wednesday: A Cozy Fire

This little number is almost complete and I just want to shrink myself down so I can live in it! There was a lot of trial and error, but I think it is turning out great and I've learned a few things along the journey. There aren't a lot of "in-progress" photos because my hands were pretty inky while making it and I didn't want to ruin my camera or phone. Here's the low-down so far:



Supplies:
***All of the supplies for this project so far are Tim Holtz except for the LED lights and acrylic paints***
Vignette Tray (large)
Vignette Box
Vignette Frame
Vignette Hardware
Tiny Vials
Corked Vials
Bouquet
Skulls
Baroque Frame
Mini Pocket Watches
Lantern
Boneyard
Halloween Paper Stash (2017 and 2018)
Alcohol Inks in Gunmetal, Watermelon, Jet Black, Terra Cotta
Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany, Candied Apple, Black Soot, Walnut Stain
Distress Collage Medium in Vintage
Perfect Pearls Gold
Scraps of cardboard packaging from the Sanding Block
T…