Skip to main content

Into the Woods

Our state is officially on a 'shelter in place' order and my little pumpkin diorama is complete! There was a lot of finger crossing going on while making the end bits, but thankfully, everything turned out great.

Supplies:
Aves Apoxie Clay
Model Trees
Black Acrylic Paint
Tim Holtz Boneyard
Tim Holtz Skull Fragments
Tim Holtz Tiny Lights
Clean Applesauce Cup
Thick Foam Sheet
White Paper
Shrinky Dink Paper (frosted)
E-6000
White Acrylic Paint

Tools:
Rotary Tool w/ Drill Bit
Paint Brush
Scissors
Plastic Paint Cup

First, I had to get the courage to drill a hole in the back of the pumpkin so I could feed the Tiny Lights through. Once I did, I had to widen it so the thicker plastic part of the strand would fit through.

Next, I kneaded the two-part Aves Apoxie and created a base inside the pumpkin. I added small balls of the clay to the trunks of the trees and then added them to the clay base, making sure they were anchored well and then smoothed out the raised areas. It took several hours for the clay to dry.

Once dry, I painted all the clay with the acrylic paint and dry-brushed the trees to give them more character.

I cut the applesauce cup down so that it was a shallow, 1/2 inch deep cup. I then cut a notch to fit the light strand. With patience, I wound the strand into a spiral and used E-6000 to glue it in place.

The lights were very bright and you could tell it was just a strand of LED lights, which I didn't like. After much trial and error, I took a sheet of very thick foam sheet for shipping items and cut out a circle slightly larger than the lip of the applesauce cup. I added E-6000 to one side and glued a sheet of white copy paper over it. Then I added a layer of Shrinky Dink paper. As it all dried, I trimmed it up neatly. I added a thin layer of white acrylic paint and used the extra copy paper to blot it off. I added a ring of E-6000 to the edge of the foam and glued it to the plastic cup, letting it dry overnight.


With a held breath, I pushed the moon back into the pumpkin over and behind the trees. Success!

Feeling confident, I dry-fit the skulls and bones in the foreground of the diorama and then added E-6000 to each one, placing it carefully.



I'm so proud of this piece and can't believe how everything worked out so well.

The snow may be falling right now, but I'm glad to be getting my Halloween creations going. Anyone else thinking Halloween?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Muffin Tins Become Halloween Treats

I purchased two vintage muffin tins to hold charms and beads at sales but don't really use them anymore. Rather than sell them off at a yard sale, I saw some inspiration on Pinterest so I made these two crusty, creepy Halloween decorations!




For the piece on the right, I didn't have step-by-step photos, but I'll list all the ingredients after the how-to for the one on the left.

Supplies:
Muffin tin
Distress Grit Paste
Distress Paint: Black Soot and Picket Fence
Distress Ink: Black Soot and Walnut Stain
Alcohol Ink: Mushroom, Gold Mixative and Pitch Black
Tim Holtz Transparent Tile (skulls only)
Tim Holtz Halloween paper stash (older version for cobweb designs and skeleton)
Tim Holtz Skulls
Tim Holtz Decorative Domes
Tim Holtz Word Key
Tim Holtz Tombstones
Glossy Accents
E6000
Foam dots
Moss
Plastic Spider
Vintage silver glass glitter
Cork vial of glitter
Twine

Tools:
Foam brush (small)
Cotton swabs
Scissors
Wire cutters (I use an old pair from jewelry-making)

First, I found…

Taking Flight

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge  is to make something Christmassy. Seems odd for October, but what can you do? 
I had an idea for a vintage plastic reindeer but as I assembled supplies, my idea shifted a bit. 
Supplies: Tim Holtz Vignette Tray Yupo Paper Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in Pitch Black Blending Solution Archival Ink in Jet Black Tim Holtz Tree Line Stamp Vintage Plastic Reindeer Acrylic Paint in Black Glossy Accents Recollections Vintage Glass Golden Glitter - previously dyed with the Alcohol Ink in Pitch Black E6000
I had the alcohol ink background from a previous project. First, I added a pool of Blending Solution to the Yupo paper and then added a few drops of the alcohol ink. I shifted the paper back and forth until about 3/4 of the paper was covered. I added more alcohol ink to make it a bit darker and shifted it again. 
Once dry, I added straight black alcohol ink to the white band for the horizon. After it was completely dry, I sealed with a few coats of …

WIP Wednesday: A Cozy Fire

This little number is almost complete and I just want to shrink myself down so I can live in it! There was a lot of trial and error, but I think it is turning out great and I've learned a few things along the journey. There aren't a lot of "in-progress" photos because my hands were pretty inky while making it and I didn't want to ruin my camera or phone. Here's the low-down so far:



Supplies:
***All of the supplies for this project so far are Tim Holtz except for the LED lights and acrylic paints***
Vignette Tray (large)
Vignette Box
Vignette Frame
Vignette Hardware
Tiny Vials
Corked Vials
Bouquet
Skulls
Baroque Frame
Mini Pocket Watches
Lantern
Boneyard
Halloween Paper Stash (2017 and 2018)
Alcohol Inks in Gunmetal, Watermelon, Jet Black, Terra Cotta
Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany, Candied Apple, Black Soot, Walnut Stain
Distress Collage Medium in Vintage
Perfect Pearls Gold
Scraps of cardboard packaging from the Sanding Block
T…