Skip to main content

Maker's Monday: Creepy Portraits

During the shelter at home, I've been finishing more project including these framed creepy 'family portraits.'
Supplies:
Metal Frames (these are vintage frames I found at an antique shop)
Alcohol Inks (I used Tim Holtz in Botanical, Orange Sunset, Teakwood, Gunmetal, Pitch Black, and Mushroom)
Tim Holtz Paper Dolls (I used dolls from a Halloween pack)
Scrapbook Paper (I used Tim Holtz paper from a Halloween stack)
Distress Marker in Black Soot
Distress Ink in Black Soot
Distress Spray Stain in Aged Mahogony
Duralar (or any other sheet of acetate)
Thick backer board (I used a piece of heavy backer board from Tim Holtz packaging)
Glue (I used Glossy Accents)

Tools:
Cotton Swabs
Paper Towel
Scissors

First, I washed both frames to remove any dust or grime and let them dry. I dripped on Botanical, Orange Sunset, and Teakwood alcohol inks on the frames and once dry, I rubbed on Gunmetal with a cotton swab. To make them more tarnished-looking, I swabbed on Pitch Black and let the frames dry.


Next, I fussy cut ovals from the scrapbook paper and dry fitted them into their respective frames. I edged each in the Distress Ink and then sprayed lightly with the Distress Spray Stain.



I used the ovals to cut out Duralar ovals and backer board ovals as well and set them aside.

I edged each Paper Doll with the Distress Marker and then glued them to their oval. Once dry, I cut any excess doll from the oval.

To give the Duralar an antiqued finish, I added drops of Mushroom alcohol ink and spread the ink with a cotton swab. Once dry, I added one more drop in the middle of each oval and blotted the fresh ink all over the Duralar with a piece of wadded-up paper towel to give a mottled effect.



Once those were dry, I placed them ink-side-down over their background and then slipped them into their frame.

I love how grungy and creepy they turned out!

Bonus: these are a pair I made last night that inspired today's make.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Muffin Tins Become Halloween Treats

I purchased two vintage muffin tins to hold charms and beads at sales but don't really use them anymore. Rather than sell them off at a yard sale, I saw some inspiration on Pinterest so I made these two crusty, creepy Halloween decorations!




For the piece on the right, I didn't have step-by-step photos, but I'll list all the ingredients after the how-to for the one on the left.

Supplies:
Muffin tin
Distress Grit Paste
Distress Paint: Black Soot and Picket Fence
Distress Ink: Black Soot and Walnut Stain
Alcohol Ink: Mushroom, Gold Mixative and Pitch Black
Tim Holtz Transparent Tile (skulls only)
Tim Holtz Halloween paper stash (older version for cobweb designs and skeleton)
Tim Holtz Skulls
Tim Holtz Decorative Domes
Tim Holtz Word Key
Tim Holtz Tombstones
Glossy Accents
E6000
Foam dots
Moss
Plastic Spider
Vintage silver glass glitter
Cork vial of glitter
Twine

Tools:
Foam brush (small)
Cotton swabs
Scissors
Wire cutters (I use an old pair from jewelry-making)

First, I found…

Taking Flight

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge  is to make something Christmassy. Seems odd for October, but what can you do? 
I had an idea for a vintage plastic reindeer but as I assembled supplies, my idea shifted a bit. 
Supplies: Tim Holtz Vignette Tray Yupo Paper Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in Pitch Black Blending Solution Archival Ink in Jet Black Tim Holtz Tree Line Stamp Vintage Plastic Reindeer Acrylic Paint in Black Glossy Accents Recollections Vintage Glass Golden Glitter - previously dyed with the Alcohol Ink in Pitch Black E6000
I had the alcohol ink background from a previous project. First, I added a pool of Blending Solution to the Yupo paper and then added a few drops of the alcohol ink. I shifted the paper back and forth until about 3/4 of the paper was covered. I added more alcohol ink to make it a bit darker and shifted it again. 
Once dry, I added straight black alcohol ink to the white band for the horizon. After it was completely dry, I sealed with a few coats of …