Skip to main content

Taking Flight

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge  is to make something Christmassy. Seems odd for October, but what can you do? 

I had an idea for a vintage plastic reindeer but as I assembled supplies, my idea shifted a bit. 

Supplies:
Tim Holtz Vignette Tray
Yupo Paper
Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in Pitch Black
Blending Solution
Archival Ink in Jet Black
Tim Holtz Tree Line Stamp
Vintage Plastic Reindeer
Acrylic Paint in Black
Glossy Accents
Recollections Vintage Glass Golden Glitter - previously dyed with the Alcohol Ink in Pitch Black
E6000

I had the alcohol ink background from a previous project. First, I added a pool of Blending Solution to the Yupo paper and then added a few drops of the alcohol ink. I shifted the paper back and forth until about 3/4 of the paper was covered. I added more alcohol ink to make it a bit darker and shifted it again. 

Once dry, I added straight black alcohol ink to the white band for the horizon. After it was completely dry, I sealed with a few coats of clear acrylic spray paint.

I resurrected this background by stamping Tree Line with the Archival and let it dry. I meant to just mat and frame it, but decided it would be a cool background for this instead. 



I smoothed a layer of Glossy Accents on the inside of the tray and slid the Yupo on top, smoothing out any air bubbles with my fingers. While it dried, I painted the reindeer with two coats of the black acrylic paint.



As it dried, I added a thin bead of Glossy Accents around the edges where the Yupo met the tray. I sprinkled the glass glitter over and let it dry before knocking out any loose glitter. (I always have two sheets of paper under glitter projects to knock the loose glitter onto - I can pour the leavings back into the jar and if I spill, there's another sheet under to catch the fallout)



With everything dried, I added E6000 to the back of the reindeer and set it in place. 

All this little scene needs is Santa's sleigh!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maker's Monday: Creepy Portraits

During the shelter at home, I've been finishing more project including these framed creepy 'family portraits.' Supplies: Metal Frames (these are vintage frames I found at an antique shop) Alcohol Inks (I used Tim Holtz in Botanical, Orange Sunset, Teakwood, Gunmetal, Pitch Black, and Mushroom) Tim Holtz Paper Dolls (I used dolls from a Halloween pack) Scrapbook Paper (I used Tim Holtz paper from a Halloween stack) Distress Marker in Black Soot Distress Ink in Black Soot Distress Spray Stain in Aged Mahogony Duralar (or any other sheet of acetate) Thick backer board (I used a piece of heavy backer board from Tim Holtz packaging) Glue (I used Glossy Accents) Tools: Cotton Swabs Paper Towel Scissors First, I washed both frames to remove any dust or grime and let them dry. I dripped on Botanical, Orange Sunset, and Teakwood alcohol inks on the frames and once dry, I rubbed on Gunmetal with a cotton swab. To make them more tarnished-looking, I swabbed on Pitc

Vintage Muffin Tins Become Halloween Treats

I purchased two vintage muffin tins to hold charms and beads at sales but don't really use them anymore. Rather than sell them off at a yard sale, I saw some inspiration on Pinterest so I made these two crusty, creepy Halloween decorations! For the piece on the right, I didn't have step-by-step photos, but I'll list all the ingredients after the how-to for the one on the left. Supplies: Muffin tin Distress Grit Paste Distress Paint: Black Soot and Picket Fence Distress Ink: Black Soot and Walnut Stain Alcohol Ink: Mushroom, Gold Mixative and Pitch Black Tim Holtz Transparent Tile (skulls only) Tim Holtz Halloween paper stash (older version for cobweb designs and skeleton) Tim Holtz Skulls Tim Holtz Decorative Domes Tim Holtz Word Key Tim Holtz Tombstones Glossy Accents E6000 Foam dots Moss Plastic Spider Vintage silver glass glitter Cork vial of glitter Twine Tools: Foam brush (small) Cotton swabs Scissors Wire cutters (I use an old pair f

Into the Woods

Our state is officially on a 'shelter in place' order and my little pumpkin diorama is complete! There was a lot of finger crossing going on while making the end bits, but thankfully, everything turned out great. Supplies: Aves Apoxie Clay Model Trees Black Acrylic Paint Tim Holtz Boneyard Tim Holtz Skull Fragments Tim Holtz Tiny Lights Clean Applesauce Cup Thick Foam Sheet White Paper Shrinky Dink Paper (frosted) E-6000 White Acrylic Paint Tools: Rotary Tool w/ Drill Bit Paint Brush Scissors Plastic Paint Cup First, I had to get the courage to drill a hole in the back of the pumpkin so I could feed the Tiny Lights through. Once I did, I had to widen it so the thicker plastic part of the strand would fit through. Next, I kneaded the two-part Aves Apoxie and created a base inside the pumpkin. I added small balls of the clay to the trunks of the trees and then added them to the clay base, making sure they were anchored well and then smoothed out the ra