Skip to main content

WIP Wednesday: Suffer the Little Children

It has been a long hiatus, but I'm back to blogging. Right now I have about six projects in process along with a very messy craft room!

This piece came about in large part due to my hubby. He brought home a religious icon and said, "I thought you could use this." It sat for a while until I was looking through some metal items in my junk bin.

Add caption


The antique wooden box came from an auction and still has an old, hard-to-read tag on it. The ornate metal corners were from a beautiful photo album a friend had given me a few years back. I dry brushed some white, thalo green and burnt umber over the high spots of the metal to give the old brass even more character.

Just an old box with small dolls in it...

Old tag still in place!


I love these corners so much


I dry brushed the iron paint over the icon, but it hasn't rusted as well as I'd hoped. Will add another round of rusting agent tonight.

Slightly rusted. Slightly unnerving?


I used the same colors to dry brush the rusted antique iron rest. Looks like an old church window, doesn't it? That's what tripped the idea switch!

That iron just reminds me of a church window

The dolls are new Tim Holtz Salvaged Dolls and I covered them with Sophisticated Finishes iron rust paint kit. Once they were all rusty, I highlighted them with white then thalo green with the same dry brushing technique.

So many tiny dolls!


Next up, I'll be gluing the iron rest and icon into the box so I can get the dolls attached. It'll be a feat to keep them all standing up on their own, but I'm up for it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WIP Wednesday: Multiple Projects, Little Workspace

March is here and I'm hoping that means spring is just about here. I'm tired of being cold all the time! I sure do miss those warm Arizona days ... and the smell of orange blossoms.

Right now, I've got three projects going on my work table and am really enjoying my progress and the process.

'Secondhand Angel' is a broken bisque doll with brass wings, a monocle frame for a halo and a brass candle holder as a base. She's the antithesis of my 'Handsome Devil' and I love her for her simplicity.









'Pride' is another of my 'Seven Deadly Sins' pieces and he's a wee bisque doll who wears a base metal crown to show his importance but he isn't big enough to fit his ornate pedestal, a brass vase. He's done, except for maybe a clear coat of paint.




The last is an untitled piece and it's another Halloween clock assemblage. This one will feature an unconventional seating arrangement ... I don't want to spoil the surprise!

WIP Wednesday: A Cozy Fire

This little number is almost complete and I just want to shrink myself down so I can live in it! There was a lot of trial and error, but I think it is turning out great and I've learned a few things along the journey. There aren't a lot of "in-progress" photos because my hands were pretty inky while making it and I didn't want to ruin my camera or phone. Here's the low-down so far:



Supplies:
***All of the supplies for this project so far are Tim Holtz except for the LED lights and acrylic paints***
Vignette Tray (large)
Vignette Box
Vignette Frame
Vignette Hardware
Tiny Vials
Corked Vials
Bouquet
Skulls
Baroque Frame
Mini Pocket Watches
Lantern
Boneyard
Halloween Paper Stash (2017 and 2018)
Alcohol Inks in Gunmetal, Watermelon, Jet Black, Terra Cotta
Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany, Candied Apple, Black Soot, Walnut Stain
Distress Collage Medium in Vintage
Perfect Pearls Gold
Scraps of cardboard packaging from the Sanding Block
T…

Creepy Panels

While cleaning out my office a while back, I re-discovered a Shrinky Dink I made of a conjoined twin skeleton. Inspiration struck and I painted some panels and made more Shrinky Dinks to accompany the skeleton, then life got in the way of crafting and the bits sat on my desk. I decided today's Snow Day task would be to finish these Creepy Panels.


The bases of these unique wall hangings are Tim Holtz Burlap Panels with a layer of black acrylic paint.

I used the same black paint to dry brush the fronts of  Tim Holtz Vignette Panels and painted their sides solid black.

While paint dried, I broke out my Shrink Dink paper and traced out old anatomical drawings of skulls, bones, and even a spider using a black Sharpie marker. I cut them out and baked them to make cool tiles.

The white wasn't working for me so I used Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in Mushroom on the shiny side of the plastic to give it an aged look. The skull in the lower right corner was a boo boo - I added the Alcohol Ink …