Skip to main content

Aztec Goddess Shrine

This project was on my mind all summer but I finally finished her! When I look at the finished piece, I can't believe I actually created it.


It started with an antique brass match holder from Sweden I found at a junk store. It took me a year (not kidding) to decide which side to use. They're both fantastic!




I had the head of a blinking doll that I had removed the hair from in my junk bin and one day I saw the two pieces together and had an a-ha moment.

I started researching Aztec gods and goddesses and discovered Chalchiuhtlicue. As I learned about her being the 'lady of the jade skirts,' I decided to eventually add some jade tones.

Playing around with other pieces from the junk bin, I settled on a skeletal torso and skeleton hands to crown the piece. I rusted them and dry brushed them in white, a golden yellow, and a lightened thalo green.


The piece cried out for colorful flowers so I colored Tim Holt's Heirloom Roses in alcohol ink shades of Wild Plum, Poppyfield, and Mermaid.





At first, I highlighted some of the piece in white but it seemed too clean. For the rays around her head, I dabbed on Distress Ink in Antique Linen to muddy the white.

I added straight thalo green over the lines of the crown and the smaller rays around her head but they were too vivid. I ended up rubbing burnt umber over the thalo and love the result.



The bottom of the piece was too blank and I knew exactly what to fill it with - slag glass. The river that runs through the town I grew up near is lousy with slag glass from the glass factory. Each canoe trip I bring home chunks - big and small - and keep them for display in glass jars or old brass cups.

I searched through my collection and found some lovely green/blue chunks and a worn piece of river glass. They perfectly represent her jade skirts. I've been going back and forth between gluing them in place and leaving them loose in case the person that lays claim to the shrine wants to put something else in it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WIP Wednesday: A Cozy Fire

This little number is almost complete and I just want to shrink myself down so I can live in it! There was a lot of trial and error, but I think it is turning out great and I've learned a few things along the journey. There aren't a lot of "in-progress" photos because my hands were pretty inky while making it and I didn't want to ruin my camera or phone. Here's the low-down so far:



Supplies:
***All of the supplies for this project so far are Tim Holtz except for the LED lights and acrylic paints***
Vignette Tray (large)
Vignette Box
Vignette Frame
Vignette Hardware
Tiny Vials
Corked Vials
Bouquet
Skulls
Baroque Frame
Mini Pocket Watches
Lantern
Boneyard
Halloween Paper Stash (2017 and 2018)
Alcohol Inks in Gunmetal, Watermelon, Jet Black, Terra Cotta
Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany, Candied Apple, Black Soot, Walnut Stain
Distress Collage Medium in Vintage
Perfect Pearls Gold
Scraps of cardboard packaging from the Sanding Block
T…

"I Dare You" Halloween Project

Today was my last day of "vacation" and this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: Halloween/Spooky got me excited to make something dark! Funny how an idea can go sideways from the beginning yet turn out just right! I had grand ideas for a very spooky make using an old printer's block but ... it morphed into something else.

Being rested, I was able to make this piece and finish another blog post. Oh, to have this energy all week long ...

This started off with alcohol ink on Yupo paper. I used Pitch Black and Purple Twilight. I added dabs of the Purple Twilight to a felt round on my blending tool then added dabs of Pitch Black.

 I pounced and swirled the ink all over the Yupo sheet (I use a large pad of Yupo).
Once the ink was dry, I added Archival Ink in Watering Can to a cool vintage printer's block, but it didn't hold the ink and wouldn't transfer to the Yupo. It was a bummer, but I decided to use an older Tim Holtz block stamp of a tree instead…

Winter Wonderland

I've had this project in my mind for weeks now but just couldn't figure out the execution. When this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge called for snow, I knew I had to finish it in time.



Supplies:
Antique wooden kitchen utensil tray
Wooden Coats & Clark spool
Tim Holtz Woodlands trees (two small and one large)
Tim Holtz Christmas Transparent Tiles
Tim Holtz Assemblage Diamonds and Pearls Charms
Tim Holtz Vignette Hardware - Hooks
Ranger Glossy Accents
White acrylic paint
Clear glitter
Mini wooden moulding with a channel
2 Sheets of paper (I used printer paper)

Tools:
Chain nose pliers for jewelry
Craft scissors
Awl
Paint brush

I found this green painted tray at an antique mall quite a while ago and wasn't sure what I'd make with it. A few months ago, I set a large Woodlands tree in it and knew. My first thought was to use old letter stamps to spell out something wintry, but stamps are getting more expensive as they're becoming popular in projects l…