Skip to main content

WIP Wednesday: Creepy Charlottes Part IV

I finished my Creepy Charlottes and posted them in the shop and one already has been claimed. These necklaces were so fun to make! I'm thinking of doing another batch...

To start, I dry brushed white craft paint onto the high points of the rusted dolls. I always end up using way too much paint on the brush, so I dab my index finger in the paint, rub most of it off, then lightly brush the high points of the dolls. It didn't take very long for the paint to dry.
Rusty girls

Just a smidge of white acrylic craft paint

First doll all dabbed up

Ready for the wash!
Next, I decided a very blackish blue wash would look good on the dolls. I mixed up a wash of paint and brushed it on the dolls, blotting away some of the excess. I added a few layers of wash until I was satisfied. My first doll had too much blue so I added more black to the remaining two.
One layer of wash

Love her light blue hue

Barely there wash

Love that dark grunge!
Once the wash of paint was completely dry, I glued the doll to the pendants using E6000. They should stay on a very long time.

With the dolls firmly in place, I decided to add a bit of clear gesso to the scrapbook paper. I used a small, soft paintbrush and got under the dolls and to the edges of the glitter. I'm really pleased with how they all turned out and I'm thinking the next batch will have a red wash of paint.

Thanks for following the progress of these creepy cuties!



This little girl has found a home!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WIP Wednesday: Multiple Projects, Little Workspace

March is here and I'm hoping that means spring is just about here. I'm tired of being cold all the time! I sure do miss those warm Arizona days ... and the smell of orange blossoms.

Right now, I've got three projects going on my work table and am really enjoying my progress and the process.

'Secondhand Angel' is a broken bisque doll with brass wings, a monocle frame for a halo and a brass candle holder as a base. She's the antithesis of my 'Handsome Devil' and I love her for her simplicity.









'Pride' is another of my 'Seven Deadly Sins' pieces and he's a wee bisque doll who wears a base metal crown to show his importance but he isn't big enough to fit his ornate pedestal, a brass vase. He's done, except for maybe a clear coat of paint.




The last is an untitled piece and it's another Halloween clock assemblage. This one will feature an unconventional seating arrangement ... I don't want to spoil the surprise!

WIP Wednesday: A Cozy Fire

This little number is almost complete and I just want to shrink myself down so I can live in it! There was a lot of trial and error, but I think it is turning out great and I've learned a few things along the journey. There aren't a lot of "in-progress" photos because my hands were pretty inky while making it and I didn't want to ruin my camera or phone. Here's the low-down so far:



Supplies:
***All of the supplies for this project so far are Tim Holtz except for the LED lights and acrylic paints***
Vignette Tray (large)
Vignette Box
Vignette Frame
Vignette Hardware
Tiny Vials
Corked Vials
Bouquet
Skulls
Baroque Frame
Mini Pocket Watches
Lantern
Boneyard
Halloween Paper Stash (2017 and 2018)
Alcohol Inks in Gunmetal, Watermelon, Jet Black, Terra Cotta
Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany, Candied Apple, Black Soot, Walnut Stain
Distress Collage Medium in Vintage
Perfect Pearls Gold
Scraps of cardboard packaging from the Sanding Block
T…

Creepy Panels

While cleaning out my office a while back, I re-discovered a Shrinky Dink I made of a conjoined twin skeleton. Inspiration struck and I painted some panels and made more Shrinky Dinks to accompany the skeleton, then life got in the way of crafting and the bits sat on my desk. I decided today's Snow Day task would be to finish these Creepy Panels.


The bases of these unique wall hangings are Tim Holtz Burlap Panels with a layer of black acrylic paint.

I used the same black paint to dry brush the fronts of  Tim Holtz Vignette Panels and painted their sides solid black.

While paint dried, I broke out my Shrink Dink paper and traced out old anatomical drawings of skulls, bones, and even a spider using a black Sharpie marker. I cut them out and baked them to make cool tiles.

The white wasn't working for me so I used Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in Mushroom on the shiny side of the plastic to give it an aged look. The skull in the lower right corner was a boo boo - I added the Alcohol Ink …