Skip to main content

Maker's Monday: Assemblage Halloween Wreath

I had Sunday to myself and in between tending to Zoey (our cat that isn't well) and watching scary movies, I decided to make a spooky wreath. Last year on a trip up to Michigan, we happened upon an estate sale. The lady 's home overlooked Lake Michigan and she had the most amazing collection of antiques! There were several pieces I really wanted but she wanted top dollar, except for an old galvanized planter...she asked $10. I snatched it up because I knew it would become some sort of wreath, eventually. Well, eventually finally happened! I realize the uniqueness of this project so if you want to create something similar, you might have to use something like an old baking pan or chicken waterer or something.

Supplies:
1 large galvanized planter
Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Black Soot and Frayed Burlap
1 Tim Holtz Halloween scrapbook paper
Black card stock (large enough to cover the openings of the doorknob plate)
1 Tim Holtz Spooky ephemera tag
Ranger Archival Ink in Black
Ranger Perfect Pearls
Black Craft Paint
Glossy Accents
E6000
Adirondack Alcohol Ink Gold Mixative
Plastic skeleton arms
Vintage photo
Vintage frame (or new and distress it to look old)
3 wooden spools
Antique doorknob plate
Black cord
Hemp twine
Metal wall plaque





Just some of the supplies - it ended up being a "make-as-you-go" kinda project!


Tools:
Scissors
Tim Holtz Blending Tool and pads
Q-tip
 



Instructions:


1. I decided to add paper to the spools first. Since I was going for a rustic look, I didn't care to measure the paper, I just eyeballed it. When they were cut to size, I edged the paper with Black Soot to make it look old and grungy.
Left side is edged in Black Soot, right side is not

All the strips are trimmed and edged
2.  I added a bit of Glossy Accents to the spool and glued down an edge of the paper. After it dried, I rolled the paper around and trimmed it, gluing the loose edge.

Holding the paper in place while it glues - Glossy Accents dries very quickly!


Nice, but looks a little too clean...

3.  The spools looked too new so I dabbed them with Black Soot and then filled in with Frayed Burlap. I think they turned out pretty grungy!
These are spools that have seen a thing or two!
 4. Next, I cut a length of black cording and threaded it through two of the holes in the bottom of the planter. I tied a knot in the back and this became my hanger.
Just a simple knot

The planter is clean, I even said "Out, damned spot!" but it wouldn't come out. I'm thinking it is oil.
5.  I was originally just going to nestle the old photo in the wreath, but it turned out to be too shallow. I decided to add it to a frame and attach it to something. I traced out the frame shape and cut it to fit then ran a bead of Glossy Accents on the inside of the frame to keep the photo in place.
Traced out the oval of the frame

All trimmed and glued into place
6.  While I was gluing, I racked my brain for something to attach the frame to when it hit me: a metal piece that I displayed magnets on! I removed the twine and set it aside while I thought about it more.
A simple galvanized sign on its way to greatness!
7.  I added a few drops of the Gold Mixative to my blending tool and dabbed it onto one of the skeleton arms but it didn't really do much. I ended up just squeezing the Mixative straight onto the arms and loved how it looked! As it dried, it did seem too new and harsh so I rubbed Black Soot over the high points to tone it down.
Mr. Golden Bones, I presume?
8.  I glued the arms onto the frame using E6000 to hold them in place.
Bringing the spooky factor up just a notch with skeleton arms!
9.  While the glue dried, I added more Mixative to my blending tool and pounced it all over the metal piece to make it look old and dingy. I glued a piece of black card stock to the back of doorknob plate with Glossy Accents and then added E6000 on the lip of the plate and a bead around the outside like caulk. I fitted it into place and held it to dry. Once dry, it looked too shiny so I brushed it with the copper-toned Perfect Pearls and then dabbed black craft paint over it with a Q-tip. I like how it looks grimy!
I added a bead of E600 and then smoothed it out with a piece of card stock to look a bit neater.

10.  After it dried, I added smudges of Archival to tone down the metal even more. I'm really pleased with how it turned out!
The gold and black really make this piece a bit darker

You can see the marks from the blending tool, but the randomness makes it work
11.  I added E6000 to the lip of the frame and added it to the metal piece, holding it for a while to dry a bit.
Gluing down the framed photo
12.  I glued the spools in place with E600 and found an old key I got at an auction and used E6000 to glue it in place as well. I love the finished product, but this was just the first part!

One big part finished!

13. With everything dry, it was time to attach it to the metal planter. I got some thin hemp twine and grunged it up with the Black Soot and Frayed Burlap. I doubled-up the twine and threaded it through the holes of the metal piece and through the holes of the planter. I tied a knot in the back and tied another for strength.
Awaiting a few last-minute touches

Close-up of the spools

Close-up of the key

I love the details of this doorknob plate and the old paint still stuck to it

The black ink really toned down the gold bones

Grungy twine

This photo is so creepy - her eyes have a weird haze over them
Next up for this piece is some creepy Spanish Moss and some Halloween gauze drape. I absolutely am thrilled with how this "wreath" turned out and might be leaving it up year-round!

I can't wait to share photos of the house when it is all finished! Has anyone else started decorating before Labor Day?






 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Witch's Lair

So a little while ago, Tim Holtz had a video showing all of the new Ideal-ology goodies for Christmas. You know me, I bleed orange and black, but one thing in particular made me OOL (ooh out loud). The Vignette Box Tops. When I saw the sweet scenes he made out of Vignette Boxes and those tops...my Halloween vein started throbbing! I ordered them and finally got them Thursday. I was off work yesterday and not feeling well so I created this neat little vignette! Everything used to create this project is Tim Holtz except for the black creepy drape cloth, the glass glitter, and the moss. It all started with larger Vignette box. I cut a piece of Halloween paper to fit the back and edged it in Black Soot Distress ink.  I took the largest box top and traced it out onto a piece of Lost and Found paper stash. I wanted to use a Halloween design, but the paper was just a bit too small. Once I had the box top traced, I cut it out and cut out the little window portion as well. I added Black

My Submission for Needle's Flash Fiction Challenge

"Gone Fishing" Copyright 2010 by Carey Burns Prissy jumped down from Veronica's lap and skittered to the front of the fishing boat, her paws on the side rail as she barked at the kids fishing on the shoreline. "Von, will you keep that ratty dog quiet? She's scaring away the fish." Sam reeled in his slack line, wishing he would have left her and that damn dog of hers at home instead of letting her weasel her way into his fishing trip with Bailey. Baily Evers was the only reason Von had any interest in fishing and she flirted with him mercilessly in the truck and for the first hour on the lake until Sam told her to shut her silly mouth. Since then Veronica sat sulking with Prissy whimpering in her arms. Bailey chuckled. "Maybe we can hang ol' Pris over the edge and see if there really are barracuda in this lake." He tilted back his Dodgers' cap and wiped the sweat from his brow, squinting as he stared off across the lake. "Should we

I Have No Words

This post has been a difficult one to write.  Like so many others, the pandemic has really thrown me into a loop and brought many unexpected and unwanted changes.   I left my job of over 19 years in October. The stress, frustration, and unhappiness was too much and the negativity was seeping into my off-time and basically killed any motivation I had to write or make anything.  Around that same time, my sister's breast cancer returned with a vengeance and destroyed the funny, loving, energetic woman I had always known and loved. She became a fragile shell and then she was gone.  My heart was still raw when my mother, the rock of our family, died unexpectely on Friday. I'm stunned. Shocked. It makes no sense. She's gone.  I'm not sure what the future holds for me. I've been working in the healthcare field and I'm happy with the job but life keeps telling me how short it is and I think I need to really listen this time.