Skip to main content

WIP Wednesday: By the Light of the Moon

Today starts another new blog feature: WIP Wednesday! WIP (Work in Progress) Wednesday will give you a little peek at what new project I'm working on. I'll share the creation journey of the different art, craft, and jewelry projects I have and hopefully give you a little inspiration to start (or finish) your own!

This week, I present to you "By the Light of the Moon," a fun little werewolf assemblage I've been working on for a while.

Still a ways to go with this piece!

This piece started out as an IKEA RIBBA picture frame. I took the easel out and covered it in Mod Podge® and tissue paper, letting the crinkles fall where they may. Once it was dry, I used
Tim Holtz® Distress Stains in Walnut and Forest Moss and blended in the colors to get a very watery effect. 

Next, I applied Golden Matte Medium on all sides of the frame with a plastic painter's knife. Once I had a thick layer, I pressed the flat side of the knife against the medium and lifted it up, making small peaks and crevices. After the medium dried, I painted it with a simple black acrylic craft paint. 

With all parts of the frame dry, I flipped the frame around and added a bead of glue on the inside edge. I could nestle the easel into it and pressed firmly so the glue would make contact. Now, instead of being a frame it was more like a shadowbox.

At this point, the project sat while I decided what it was going to be. I thought about making a swampy creature or creating a cemetery, but they didn't seem right. And then I went to one of my favorite antique shops.

I found a cheap bracelet that reminded me of the focus to an old spyglass or telescope. Then I thought of the moon and knew the piece was meant to have a werewolf in it somehow. I had a small collection of optic lenses and one was a perfect fit! I added a thin snake of Aves Apoxie clay around the edges of the lens to hold it in place. Once it cured, I painted it gold.

Next, I was on the hunt for a very cheap action figure that I could decapitate. I found this guy at Dollar Tree and filled in the articulation joints and drill holes with the Apoxie clay. Next step is to sand it and paint it matte black.

For two weeks I hunted for a wolf toy and finally found one! I cut its head off with a rotary tool with the help of my hubby and will connect him to the action figure body with Apoxie clay.

Next up for this project is to paint some bullet shells silver and antique them, creating a moon, mounting the lens, and finding other bits to balance it all out.

What are some of the projects you are working on this summer? How do you keep yourself on-task to finish them?


Popular posts from this blog

31 Tags of Halloween: Day 6

Oh my goodness, today started off badly. I'm not feeling so great, but I have to power through this little challenge, so here we are. I'm grateful that I at least have the day off to wallow in crankiness.

Initially, I wanted to make a ghostly tag and have some cool stickers on it that spell out 'Boo' but as with most projects, things took a turn...

I grabbed a tag, some nice Tim Holtz Halloween paper, those cool stickers, a Tim Holtz Paper Doll, Ranger Pigment Ink in Glacier White, Distress ink in Tea Dye, Glossy Accents, cheesecloth, and my favorite Tim Holtz tree stamp.

I inked up the stamp in Tea Dye, but it was lighter than I remembered. I grabbed some Distress ink in Walnut Stain and added lowlights and edged the card really well.

I dabbed the Glacier White over the paper doll to give her a very faded appearance. As she dried, I inked my stamp in Glacier White and stamped it onto my tag. Ghostly, but too ghostly. My heart sank. I grabbed my Archival ink in Black a…

31 Tags of Halloween: Day 12

Today's tag was really begun last night and finished today. I'm not feeling very well today so I'm at home taking it easy. I decided to make a shaker tag when a piece of Tim Holtz packaging caught my eye and I'm planning on submitting it to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge "Not a Card" this week.

Let me start by saying that I haven't ever made a shaker card or tag before but inspiration struck me and I cobbled together something a little different...and definitely not a card!

My supplies included a tag, Tim Holtz Halloween paper stash, Tim Holtz Vignette Panel, Distress Stain in Hickory Smoke, Distress Ink in Black Soot, Distress Marker in Black Soot, Glossy Accents, Tim Holtz Collage Medium, Tim Holtz Halloween ephemera Eye doctor, Tim Holtz Pumpkin Pieces plastic packaging, Distress Clear Rock Candy glitter, black glitter paper (from my stash), E6000 glue, Tim Holtz metal word band, Tim Holtz Halloween Trimmings, and black creepy drape fabric.


31 Tags of Halloween: Days 14 and 15

Yesterday, I didn't craft at all because I hosted my 2nd Annual Haunted Open House! It was such a fun day with lots of visitors and some of my creations went off to very good homes. By the end of the day I was 100% spent so I decided to just make two tags today.

I'm pretty tired and I didn't get any process photos either but I'll do better tomorrow!

Tag 14 is a spooked black cat that I made using Tim Holtz Halloween ephemera, Tim Holtz Halloween Clippings stickers, Distress Marker in Black Soot, and Distress Ink in Carved Pumpkin and Lucky Clover.

I inked the entire tag with Carved Pumpkin and edged in Lucky Clover. I edged the cat ephemera in the Black Soot marker and added it to the tag with Glossy Accents.

I edged the stickers in Lucky Clover and added Glossy Accents to the back to help it stay on better.

Tag 15 was a bit of trial and error. I used Distress Ink in Wilted Violet and Black Soot Archival in black, a Tim Holtz Halloween Clippings sticker, and Glossy Acc…