Skip to main content

Creepy Panels

While cleaning out my office a while back, I re-discovered a Shrinky Dink I made of a conjoined twin skeleton. Inspiration struck and I painted some panels and made more Shrinky Dinks to accompany the skeleton, then life got in the way of crafting and the bits sat on my desk. I decided today's Snow Day task would be to finish these Creepy Panels.

The finished product!

The bases of these unique wall hangings are Tim Holtz Burlap Panels with a layer of black acrylic paint.

I used the same black paint to dry brush the fronts of  Tim Holtz Vignette Panels and painted their sides solid black.

While paint dried, I broke out my Shrink Dink paper and traced out old anatomical drawings of skulls, bones, and even a spider using a black Sharpie marker. I cut them out and baked them to make cool tiles.

Completed Shrinky Dink tiles
The white wasn't working for me so I used Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in Mushroom on the shiny side of the plastic to give it an aged look. The skull in the lower right corner was a boo boo - I added the Alcohol Ink to the matte side and the ink started to react with the Sharpie. I like the effect though, and will use it for something else. (Note: the conjoined twin tile is colored with Teakwood diluted with Blending Solution to make it a light brown)

Nicely aged and grungy!

I added black acrylic paint to the edges of the tiles and chose which ones would work on the Vignette panels. I wanted to use wingnuts to secure the wood panels to the burlap panels, but couldn't find any I liked.

After searching a while, I found the Tim Holtz Hitch Fasteners. The screws that came with them were too short, but I had Tim Holtz Long Screws left over from a few other projects, so I swapped them out.

I used my rotary tool to drill holes through both panels.
The rotary tool is a handy tool to drill holes through the panels!

The Hitch Fasteners bring a bit of depth that I really like and the soft finishes are a nice touch too!
The Hitch Fasteners are a breeze to use

I used dabs of E-6000 adhesive on the backs of the plastic tiles to adhere them to the wood panels.
This grinning skull is fun

The bones of the foot and a side-view of a skull

I love this panel most of all
It is amazing how much detail you can see once the plastic has shrunk!

Close-up of the foot






I may go back and add a few other doodads to the panels, but I really like how they turned out! I've got more Shrinky Dink paper so I think some lazy Saturday I might make more tiles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WIP Wednesday: A Cozy Fire

This little number is almost complete and I just want to shrink myself down so I can live in it! There was a lot of trial and error, but I think it is turning out great and I've learned a few things along the journey. There aren't a lot of "in-progress" photos because my hands were pretty inky while making it and I didn't want to ruin my camera or phone. Here's the low-down so far:



Supplies:
***All of the supplies for this project so far are Tim Holtz except for the LED lights and acrylic paints***
Vignette Tray (large)
Vignette Box
Vignette Frame
Vignette Hardware
Tiny Vials
Corked Vials
Bouquet
Skulls
Baroque Frame
Mini Pocket Watches
Lantern
Boneyard
Halloween Paper Stash (2017 and 2018)
Alcohol Inks in Gunmetal, Watermelon, Jet Black, Terra Cotta
Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany, Candied Apple, Black Soot, Walnut Stain
Distress Collage Medium in Vintage
Perfect Pearls Gold
Scraps of cardboard packaging from the Sanding Block
T…

"I Dare You" Halloween Project

Today was my last day of "vacation" and this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: Halloween/Spooky got me excited to make something dark! Funny how an idea can go sideways from the beginning yet turn out just right! I had grand ideas for a very spooky make using an old printer's block but ... it morphed into something else.

Being rested, I was able to make this piece and finish another blog post. Oh, to have this energy all week long ...

This started off with alcohol ink on Yupo paper. I used Pitch Black and Purple Twilight. I added dabs of the Purple Twilight to a felt round on my blending tool then added dabs of Pitch Black.

 I pounced and swirled the ink all over the Yupo sheet (I use a large pad of Yupo).
Once the ink was dry, I added Archival Ink in Watering Can to a cool vintage printer's block, but it didn't hold the ink and wouldn't transfer to the Yupo. It was a bummer, but I decided to use an older Tim Holtz block stamp of a tree instead…

Winter Wonderland

I've had this project in my mind for weeks now but just couldn't figure out the execution. When this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge called for snow, I knew I had to finish it in time.



Supplies:
Antique wooden kitchen utensil tray
Wooden Coats & Clark spool
Tim Holtz Woodlands trees (two small and one large)
Tim Holtz Christmas Transparent Tiles
Tim Holtz Assemblage Diamonds and Pearls Charms
Tim Holtz Vignette Hardware - Hooks
Ranger Glossy Accents
White acrylic paint
Clear glitter
Mini wooden moulding with a channel
2 Sheets of paper (I used printer paper)

Tools:
Chain nose pliers for jewelry
Craft scissors
Awl
Paint brush

I found this green painted tray at an antique mall quite a while ago and wasn't sure what I'd make with it. A few months ago, I set a large Woodlands tree in it and knew. My first thought was to use old letter stamps to spell out something wintry, but stamps are getting more expensive as they're becoming popular in projects l…