Skip to main content

Maker's Monday: Poison Bottle

I made one Poison Bottle and loved how it turned out so I wanted to make another. After putting out a distress call on Facebook, a friend sent me an empty essential oil bottle. Gotta love co-conspirators!

Supplies:
1 small brown bottle (I used an essential oil bottle)
Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Vintage Photo and Black Soot
Tim Holtz Adirondack Ink in Teakwood
1 Tim Holtz Spooky ephemera 'Poison'
Ranger Perfect Pearls (Bronze tone with Perfect Medium and brush)
A piece of jute or string of some sort
Glossy Accents



Tools:
Tim Holtz Blending Tool and pad


Additional Items:
Cotton swabs
Instructions:


1.  I removed the label, cap, tamper-safe ring, and dropper cap from the essential oil bottle and washed and dried the bottle and cap. I threw out the tamper-safe ring and dropper cap.



2.  Next, I put the cap on my painter palette and added drips of the alcohol ink. As it dripped down the sides, I used one cotton swab to hold the cap steady and the other to "paint" the cap with the ink. 
3.  While the ink dried, I added ink to the ephemera with the blending tool. I used Vintage Photo and edged the paper first then smudged over the whole piece of paper. I swapped out blending pads and added just a smudge of Black Soot. 

4.  Initially, I was going to use double-stick tape to hold the label onto the jar, but wanted this to be a longer-lasting piece so I opted for squiggles of Glossy Accents instead. Before I did that, I made bends in the label so it would curve nicely against the bottle. After a few seconds of holding the label in place, the adhesive was dry. Another reason I love Glossy Accents!

5.  The cap was finally dry so I twisted it onto the bottle and used my finger to dab on Perfect Medium. I used the brush in my Perfect Pearls kit and dipped it into the lid of the bronze-toned pearls. With very light strokes, I "painted" over the cap and the Pearls stuck to the spots where the Medium was. Nice!


Just a bit of bronzer...
 6.  I had saved the twine from the galvanized sheet I used in my Halloween Wreath and it wrapped around the bottle perfectly! I made a simple knot and glued the ends in place.



 I love how this little bottle turned out! It looks great with the other spooky goodies on my shelf - the room is really looking creeptastic!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WIP Wednesday: Multiple Projects, Little Workspace

March is here and I'm hoping that means spring is just about here. I'm tired of being cold all the time! I sure do miss those warm Arizona days ... and the smell of orange blossoms.

Right now, I've got three projects going on my work table and am really enjoying my progress and the process.

'Secondhand Angel' is a broken bisque doll with brass wings, a monocle frame for a halo and a brass candle holder as a base. She's the antithesis of my 'Handsome Devil' and I love her for her simplicity.









'Pride' is another of my 'Seven Deadly Sins' pieces and he's a wee bisque doll who wears a base metal crown to show his importance but he isn't big enough to fit his ornate pedestal, a brass vase. He's done, except for maybe a clear coat of paint.




The last is an untitled piece and it's another Halloween clock assemblage. This one will feature an unconventional seating arrangement ... I don't want to spoil the surprise!

31 Tags of Halloween: Tag 31

My hands didn't bleed today but boy are they still dry and angry. More lotion is on the menu tonight.

This tag turned out so cool! There were many, many "oopsie" moments, as always, but I'm happy with it!

Supplies used include Tim Holtz Halloween paper stash and ephemera, brads, and stars. I used Distress Ink in Carved Pumpkin, Walnut Stain, and Black Soot and my Distress Marker in Black Soot too. Glossy Accents was my glue of choice and I typed up all of the text and images and printed them out on regular printer paper. There was one piece of Tim Holtz Collector Layers I used because the paper was a nice heft.

First, I traced and cut out my tag.

I flipped the Collector Layers piece over and traced out my pencil cup because the circle is wider than my tag. This is going to be my spinner piece. I cut it out and sectioned it out into eight wedges. I cut out the printed images and glued them to my spinner and then added Walnut Stain ink then used a thumb tack to make a …

WIP Wednesday: A Cozy Fire

This little number is almost complete and I just want to shrink myself down so I can live in it! There was a lot of trial and error, but I think it is turning out great and I've learned a few things along the journey. There aren't a lot of "in-progress" photos because my hands were pretty inky while making it and I didn't want to ruin my camera or phone. Here's the low-down so far:



Supplies:
***All of the supplies for this project so far are Tim Holtz except for the LED lights and acrylic paints***
Vignette Tray (large)
Vignette Box
Vignette Frame
Vignette Hardware
Tiny Vials
Corked Vials
Bouquet
Skulls
Baroque Frame
Mini Pocket Watches
Lantern
Boneyard
Halloween Paper Stash (2017 and 2018)
Alcohol Inks in Gunmetal, Watermelon, Jet Black, Terra Cotta
Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany, Candied Apple, Black Soot, Walnut Stain
Distress Collage Medium in Vintage
Perfect Pearls Gold
Scraps of cardboard packaging from the Sanding Block
T…