Wednesday, August 19, 2015

What I Did Over Summer Vacation: The Changeling

Worth more than $1.50
I found a tiny plastic baby doll with wonky eyes at an antique mall. He was only $1.50 and wanted to come home with me so I took pity and bought him.















Rusting babies and bones


He sat for a while until I decided to add a layer of iron paint and then rust him and I wasn't sure what exactly he'd be. I knew he was going to be on a small wooden block, but he didn't have a story yet.










A Changeling is born

After gluing him in place and pulling other assorted odds and ends around him, he looked sad and sickly...like he was wasting away...and there in the depths of my brain a memory was sparked. This sad, rusted thing was no child. No. He was a Changeling. The spawn of a fairy swapped for a lovely little boy.












I opened my scrapbook containing Other People's Family and found the most perfect match! After taking a photo of the photo, I decided it needed to be in color so I tried my hand at giving him blonde hair and a rosy complexion. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out...

Original photo from Other People's Family
Things are taking shape




















It is funny how little odds and ends seemed destined to be a part of this piece. Like the scrapbook paper I found with the definition of 'memory' or the fairy pendant I found at the craft store and the butterflies I have tucked into a pink glass sugar bowl from my grandmother...its like they were just waiting around amongst the clutter in the Pit of Despair.

This is an almost-finished photo of The Changeling. I have since added some patina to the metal embellishments and will be antiquing the fairy that sits atop the piece.
The change is nearly complete




No comments:

Post a Comment