Skip to main content

Maker's Monday: Fly

I decided that this year I will "make do" with the crafty supplies I already have. There's only so much space in the Pit of Despair! This project came together really quickly and while I used a vintage plastic reindeer, a new version can be substituted.



Supplies:
Tim Holtz Vignette Panel (largest size with backer board)
Tim Holtz Christmas Stack golden star paper
Tim Holtz Typography letters 'FLY'
Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink Gold Mixative
Tim Holtz Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Tim Holtz Matte Medium
Glossy Accents
Red acrylic paint
Dark green acrylic paint
Vintage plastic reindeer
Sophisticated Finishes Rust paint
Four felt adhesive dots

Tools:
Scissors
Paint brushes
Cotton swab

Months ago, I nabbed a bag of vintage plastic reindeer at an antique shop and decided to rust one to see how it would look. I coated it in two layers of iron paint and then added the rusting agent. I liked how it looked and set it aside for later.

While organizing my hoard, I spied my Vignette Frames and an idea took root. First, I found the lovely paper with the golden stars and dry fitted it to the backer board and added the rusty reindeer. I removed the paper and added a layer of Matte Medium to the board then smoothed the paper over top. Once dry, I trimmed the sides of the paper flush with the board and set it aside.



Next, I added two layers of red acrylic paint to the frame itself. It was a bit bright, but I planned to tone it down.




 I added the Distress Stain over the frame and let it dry. The frame took on a nice deep tone.

Next, I painted the Typography letters with the green paint. The wood was so dark, I decided to add a few drops of the Gold Mixative to a cotton swab and colored the backgrounds. The letters popped a bit better.

The frame needed some 'pop' too so I added more Mixative to the swab and rubbed the raised design and the flatter surfaces.




While that dried, I painted the sides and back of the backer board with the green paint to tie it all together.

I glued the letters and reindeer to the board with Glossy Accents and when everything was dry, I glued the frame to the backer board. 

Once dried, I added four felt dots to the back of the piece. At some point, I might add a metal picture hanger to the back.






This was a fun little make and gives me a few more ideas!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maker's Monday: Creepy Portraits

During the shelter at home, I've been finishing more project including these framed creepy 'family portraits.'
Supplies:
Metal Frames (these are vintage frames I found at an antique shop)
Alcohol Inks (I used Tim Holtz in Botanical, Orange Sunset, Teakwood, Gunmetal, Pitch Black, and Mushroom)
Tim Holtz Paper Dolls (I used dolls from a Halloween pack)
Scrapbook Paper (I used Tim Holtz paper from a Halloween stack)
Distress Marker in Black Soot
Distress Ink in Black Soot
Distress Spray Stain in Aged Mahogony
Duralar (or any other sheet of acetate)
Thick backer board (I used a piece of heavy backer board from Tim Holtz packaging)
Glue (I used Glossy Accents)

Tools:
Cotton Swabs
Paper Towel
Scissors

First, I washed both frames to remove any dust or grime and let them dry. I dripped on Botanical, Orange Sunset, and Teakwood alcohol inks on the frames and once dry, I rubbed on Gunmetal with a cotton swab. To make them more tarnished-looking, I swabbed on Pitch Black and let the…

Taking Flight

This week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge  is to make something Christmassy. Seems odd for October, but what can you do? 
I had an idea for a vintage plastic reindeer but as I assembled supplies, my idea shifted a bit. 
Supplies: Tim Holtz Vignette Tray Yupo Paper Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink in Pitch Black Blending Solution Archival Ink in Jet Black Tim Holtz Tree Line Stamp Vintage Plastic Reindeer Acrylic Paint in Black Glossy Accents Recollections Vintage Glass Golden Glitter - previously dyed with the Alcohol Ink in Pitch Black E6000
I had the alcohol ink background from a previous project. First, I added a pool of Blending Solution to the Yupo paper and then added a few drops of the alcohol ink. I shifted the paper back and forth until about 3/4 of the paper was covered. I added more alcohol ink to make it a bit darker and shifted it again. 
Once dry, I added straight black alcohol ink to the white band for the horizon. After it was completely dry, I sealed with a few coats of …

Into the Woods

Our state is officially on a 'shelter in place' order and my little pumpkin diorama is complete! There was a lot of finger crossing going on while making the end bits, but thankfully, everything turned out great.

Supplies:
Aves Apoxie Clay
Model Trees
Black Acrylic Paint
Tim Holtz Boneyard
Tim Holtz Skull Fragments
Tim Holtz Tiny Lights
Clean Applesauce Cup
Thick Foam Sheet
White Paper
Shrinky Dink Paper (frosted)
E-6000
White Acrylic Paint

Tools:
Rotary Tool w/ Drill Bit
Paint Brush
Scissors
Plastic Paint Cup

First, I had to get the courage to drill a hole in the back of the pumpkin so I could feed the Tiny Lights through. Once I did, I had to widen it so the thicker plastic part of the strand would fit through.

Next, I kneaded the two-part Aves Apoxie and created a base inside the pumpkin. I added small balls of the clay to the trunks of the trees and then added them to the clay base, making sure they were anchored well and then smoothed out the raised areas. It took several…