Skip to main content

31 Tags of Halloween: Tag 31

My hands didn't bleed today but boy are they still dry and angry. More lotion is on the menu tonight.

This tag turned out so cool! There were many, many "oopsie" moments, as always, but I'm happy with it!

Supplies used include Tim Holtz Halloween paper stash and ephemera, brads, and stars. I used Distress Ink in Carved Pumpkin, Walnut Stain, and Black Soot and my Distress Marker in Black Soot too. Glossy Accents was my glue of choice and I typed up all of the text and images and printed them out on regular printer paper. There was one piece of Tim Holtz Collector Layers I used because the paper was a nice heft.

First, I traced and cut out my tag.

I flipped the Collector Layers piece over and traced out my pencil cup because the circle is wider than my tag. This is going to be my spinner piece. I cut it out and sectioned it out into eight wedges. I cut out the printed images and glued them to my spinner and then added Walnut Stain ink then used a thumb tack to make a hole in the center. I cut a strip of paper to secure the brad to as a base for gluing. (this will enable the circle to spin) After dry fitting it onto my tag, I realized I glued the images up too high and they were visible on the spinning edge. Sad face!







I grabbed the scrap of striped paper and traced a circle onto the backside of it and cut it out. Next I folded the circle in half then then rotated the paper and folded it in half again. I repeated until I had eight wedges. I used a pen to mark the lines.


I removed the original spinner from the paper and glued it to my new polka dotted circle. Once the glue dried, I poked a hole in the center and added the strip of paper to the back. I added Glossy Accents all around the back of that paper strip, leaving a circle clear around the brad and then placed it onto the tag.

I dry fitted the top tag over the see where I needed to add my printed images. Satisfied that they were well-hidden, I glued them in place with Glossy Accents. Once it was dry, I added Carved Pumpkin and then Black Soot inks. I also edged the original tag, the spinner, and the striped tag with Black Soot ink.

Now I had to figure out how to make the viewing flap. I dry fitted the striped tag and made a slight bend in the paper from the bottom to where one of the printed images could be seen. I spun the wheel to make sure each image could be seen and then made two lines as my width guide.

I used a pen knife to cut on the bend between the lines and then cut two lines up toward the hole end of the tag. I lifted the flap to reveal the image. Happy, I edged the cut sides with the Black Soot Marker.

I added Glossy Accents to my original tag above and below the spinner and then put the striped paper on top. While it dried, I cut out my text. For the Fortune Wheel, I glued it to a tag shape from the Halloween stash and added Black Soot and Walnut Stain all over it. I added the same ink combo to the other two text pieces and just Walnut Stain for the hand ephemera. I glued them in place and then added Walnut Stain over the entire tag.

A bit of orange jute finished off the tag. I added the star with Glossy Accents to balance out the tag.



I'll have a video of the spinner in action on my Carey Bee Crafts Facebook page. Hope you enjoyed this tag and want to steal the inspiration. It sure will be weird not lugging a bag of craft supplies with me to work and crafting in the dark before work starts...I'll be able to take a real lunch break too. Whatever will I do with myself??? Plan for next Halloween, of course!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WIP Wednesday: Multiple Projects, Little Workspace

March is here and I'm hoping that means spring is just about here. I'm tired of being cold all the time! I sure do miss those warm Arizona days ... and the smell of orange blossoms.

Right now, I've got three projects going on my work table and am really enjoying my progress and the process.

'Secondhand Angel' is a broken bisque doll with brass wings, a monocle frame for a halo and a brass candle holder as a base. She's the antithesis of my 'Handsome Devil' and I love her for her simplicity.









'Pride' is another of my 'Seven Deadly Sins' pieces and he's a wee bisque doll who wears a base metal crown to show his importance but he isn't big enough to fit his ornate pedestal, a brass vase. He's done, except for maybe a clear coat of paint.




The last is an untitled piece and it's another Halloween clock assemblage. This one will feature an unconventional seating arrangement ... I don't want to spoil the surprise!

WIP Wednesday: A Cozy Fire

This little number is almost complete and I just want to shrink myself down so I can live in it! There was a lot of trial and error, but I think it is turning out great and I've learned a few things along the journey. There aren't a lot of "in-progress" photos because my hands were pretty inky while making it and I didn't want to ruin my camera or phone. Here's the low-down so far:



Supplies:
***All of the supplies for this project so far are Tim Holtz except for the LED lights and acrylic paints***
Vignette Tray (large)
Vignette Box
Vignette Frame
Vignette Hardware
Tiny Vials
Corked Vials
Bouquet
Skulls
Baroque Frame
Mini Pocket Watches
Lantern
Boneyard
Halloween Paper Stash (2017 and 2018)
Alcohol Inks in Gunmetal, Watermelon, Jet Black, Terra Cotta
Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany, Candied Apple, Black Soot, Walnut Stain
Distress Collage Medium in Vintage
Perfect Pearls Gold
Scraps of cardboard packaging from the Sanding Block
T…