Skip to main content

Maker's Monday: She's Poison

Today's project is a fun necklace that has me singing 'Poison' by Bell Biv Davoe. I love the sheet of Tim Holtz's scrapbook paper with the creepy old photographs and the photo I selected just looked extra creepy to me. I didn't have my Vagabond cutting machine with me so I had to cut out the photo by hand.

1 Bezel (I used a Susan Lenart Kazmer Hobnail Bezel which are sadly discontinued)
1 Skull and crossbones charm (brass finish)
Satin cord
2 Jump Rings (brass finish)
Tim Holtz Ephemera Pack Curiosities
Tim Holtz Halloween paper stack
Glossy Accents

Jeweler's pliers (one or two pairs, depending on your preference)



1.  I couldn't get a great action shot, but to get the outline of the bezel on the photo, I lay the bezel face-down on top of the image I wanted and then pressed the paper firmly over the bezel lip from below. I went over the lip a few times, pressing firmly. A ghostly impression appeared. I cut on the inside of the impression and dry fitted the paper into the bezel.

2.  I used my fingernail to really press the paper into the bezel and get a good cut line. I popped the paper out using my pliers.

That sharp crease is one reason my nails are a hot mess right now

3.  More quick work of the scissors made a decent fit. 

4.  I added squiggles of Glossy Accents to the inside of the bezel and then added the photo back, smoothing out any air pockets and arranging it in line with the rings of the bezel. 

5.  The ephemera I selected was too big for the bezel so I did a bit of rough cutting to make it fit. I glued that down with Glossy Accents as well. 

6.   I opened a jump ring by clasping it in the pliers with one hand and holding it firmly between my thumb and index finger of my other hand. I gently twisted the pliers away from me and the jump ring opened. I then slid it onto the hole of the skull and crossbones charm and then through the bottom ring of the bezel. I closed it using the opposite twisting motion and made sure it was completely closed. 

7. I opened the second jump ring the same way and slid it onto the top ring of the bezel and closed it the same way. 

8.  Next I cut a piece of satin cord. I made mine about 32 inches long so I could slide the finished necklace over my head. 

9.  I threaded one end of the cord through the top jump ring. 
Add caption

10. I lined up my ends and make an overhand knot.  
Line up those ends

Wrap around...look at what crafting can do to your fingers!

Through the hole...pull...sorry about those nails...

Perfect bunny ears!

And there's a finished necklace! I want a bit more jazz for this project so when I get home, I'm going to add some fine black glitter.
She just looks like she is bad news


Popular posts from this blog

31 Tags of Halloween: Day 6

Oh my goodness, today started off badly. I'm not feeling so great, but I have to power through this little challenge, so here we are. I'm grateful that I at least have the day off to wallow in crankiness.

Initially, I wanted to make a ghostly tag and have some cool stickers on it that spell out 'Boo' but as with most projects, things took a turn...

I grabbed a tag, some nice Tim Holtz Halloween paper, those cool stickers, a Tim Holtz Paper Doll, Ranger Pigment Ink in Glacier White, Distress ink in Tea Dye, Glossy Accents, cheesecloth, and my favorite Tim Holtz tree stamp.

I inked up the stamp in Tea Dye, but it was lighter than I remembered. I grabbed some Distress ink in Walnut Stain and added lowlights and edged the card really well.

I dabbed the Glacier White over the paper doll to give her a very faded appearance. As she dried, I inked my stamp in Glacier White and stamped it onto my tag. Ghostly, but too ghostly. My heart sank. I grabbed my Archival ink in Black a…

31 Tags of Halloween: Day 12

Today's tag was really begun last night and finished today. I'm not feeling very well today so I'm at home taking it easy. I decided to make a shaker tag when a piece of Tim Holtz packaging caught my eye and I'm planning on submitting it to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge "Not a Card" this week.

Let me start by saying that I haven't ever made a shaker card or tag before but inspiration struck me and I cobbled together something a little different...and definitely not a card!

My supplies included a tag, Tim Holtz Halloween paper stash, Tim Holtz Vignette Panel, Distress Stain in Hickory Smoke, Distress Ink in Black Soot, Distress Marker in Black Soot, Glossy Accents, Tim Holtz Collage Medium, Tim Holtz Halloween ephemera Eye doctor, Tim Holtz Pumpkin Pieces plastic packaging, Distress Clear Rock Candy glitter, black glitter paper (from my stash), E6000 glue, Tim Holtz metal word band, Tim Holtz Halloween Trimmings, and black creepy drape fabric.


31 Tags of Halloween: Days 14 and 15

Yesterday, I didn't craft at all because I hosted my 2nd Annual Haunted Open House! It was such a fun day with lots of visitors and some of my creations went off to very good homes. By the end of the day I was 100% spent so I decided to just make two tags today.

I'm pretty tired and I didn't get any process photos either but I'll do better tomorrow!

Tag 14 is a spooked black cat that I made using Tim Holtz Halloween ephemera, Tim Holtz Halloween Clippings stickers, Distress Marker in Black Soot, and Distress Ink in Carved Pumpkin and Lucky Clover.

I inked the entire tag with Carved Pumpkin and edged in Lucky Clover. I edged the cat ephemera in the Black Soot marker and added it to the tag with Glossy Accents.

I edged the stickers in Lucky Clover and added Glossy Accents to the back to help it stay on better.

Tag 15 was a bit of trial and error. I used Distress Ink in Wilted Violet and Black Soot Archival in black, a Tim Holtz Halloween Clippings sticker, and Glossy Acc…