Skip to main content

Work In Progress

I started another assemblage piece called "The Remains of Love" and it started off great with separate pieces somehow just fitting together like magic. A pile of plastic bones...a cobbled-together Cupid...a very old photo of a bride and groom...

To say I  am a novice at this "art" thing is a big understatement. I'm getting better, but am still figuring out what supplies do (and don't) play well together.

The first mishap was learning that the adhesive I used to attach a bisque doll to a metal piece failed when a rusting agent was applied. There was some cursing, but I got over it.
The bisque figure was missing its arms
Originally, this was going to be a harpy but the arrows made me think Cupid


The second mishap was the glitter texture I wanted over the plastic bones. For some reason, the acrylic paint I used just didn't want to stick to the plastic. Never had this problem before, it was frustrating. Then the glitter was too big and totally camouflaged the bones to make them look like sparkly blobs. The smaller glitter just wouldn't stick.
Plastic bones nestled in a glob of Aves Apoxie
Too white and "clean"


Next, the stain I applied to the borders of the photo reacted badly with the crackle effect. I tried different stains over top to lessen the "damage" but I think I just need to accept it for what it is.
Needed to balance the colors more

The crackle really didn't play well with the white stain over the photo


The darkness of the photo and the Cupid were too jarring next to the lovely white bones so I added a copper pearl, which looked too peachy. Adding paint over it just made a pale terracotta hue that I didn't care for. Next came gold and bronze accents and finally black ink dry brushed over everything to tone it all down. I'm still not 100% pleased and will be attacking it again this weekend.
Too gold


I'm learning and storing all of these mini disasters away in my "Do Not Try This" section of the ol' brain. The final product will be up for grabs in my Etsy store careybeecrafts.etsy.comhttps://www.etsy.com/shop/careybeecrafts.

Toned down and deciding placement for more adornments

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

31 Tags of Halloween: Day 6

Oh my goodness, today started off badly. I'm not feeling so great, but I have to power through this little challenge, so here we are. I'm grateful that I at least have the day off to wallow in crankiness.

Initially, I wanted to make a ghostly tag and have some cool stickers on it that spell out 'Boo' but as with most projects, things took a turn...

I grabbed a tag, some nice Tim Holtz Halloween paper, those cool stickers, a Tim Holtz Paper Doll, Ranger Pigment Ink in Glacier White, Distress ink in Tea Dye, Glossy Accents, cheesecloth, and my favorite Tim Holtz tree stamp.



I inked up the stamp in Tea Dye, but it was lighter than I remembered. I grabbed some Distress ink in Walnut Stain and added lowlights and edged the card really well.

I dabbed the Glacier White over the paper doll to give her a very faded appearance. As she dried, I inked my stamp in Glacier White and stamped it onto my tag. Ghostly, but too ghostly. My heart sank. I grabbed my Archival ink in Black a…

31 Tags of Halloween: Day 12

Today's tag was really begun last night and finished today. I'm not feeling very well today so I'm at home taking it easy. I decided to make a shaker tag when a piece of Tim Holtz packaging caught my eye and I'm planning on submitting it to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge "Not a Card" this week.

Let me start by saying that I haven't ever made a shaker card or tag before but inspiration struck me and I cobbled together something a little different...and definitely not a card!

My supplies included a tag, Tim Holtz Halloween paper stash, Tim Holtz Vignette Panel, Distress Stain in Hickory Smoke, Distress Ink in Black Soot, Distress Marker in Black Soot, Glossy Accents, Tim Holtz Collage Medium, Tim Holtz Halloween ephemera Eye doctor, Tim Holtz Pumpkin Pieces plastic packaging, Distress Clear Rock Candy glitter, black glitter paper (from my stash), E6000 glue, Tim Holtz metal word band, Tim Holtz Halloween Trimmings, and black creepy drape fabric.

Fir…

31 Tags of Halloween: Days 14 and 15

Yesterday, I didn't craft at all because I hosted my 2nd Annual Haunted Open House! It was such a fun day with lots of visitors and some of my creations went off to very good homes. By the end of the day I was 100% spent so I decided to just make two tags today.

I'm pretty tired and I didn't get any process photos either but I'll do better tomorrow!

Tag 14 is a spooked black cat that I made using Tim Holtz Halloween ephemera, Tim Holtz Halloween Clippings stickers, Distress Marker in Black Soot, and Distress Ink in Carved Pumpkin and Lucky Clover.

I inked the entire tag with Carved Pumpkin and edged in Lucky Clover. I edged the cat ephemera in the Black Soot marker and added it to the tag with Glossy Accents.

I edged the stickers in Lucky Clover and added Glossy Accents to the back to help it stay on better.

Tag 15 was a bit of trial and error. I used Distress Ink in Wilted Violet and Black Soot Archival in black, a Tim Holtz Halloween Clippings sticker, and Glossy Acc…