Skip to main content

On Beta Reading

I was asked by two author friends to be a beta reader for their respective books and after many months, I am finally done reading! At first, I was hesitant to do it because there's always that nagging voice in my head saying "You're a sham, not a real writer and you have nothing to contribute." So I stuffed that voice in a gunny sack and dropped it into a deep well and just read. I'm glad I did.

Reading someone else's work allowed me to see some of the things (good and bad) in my own writing that I had been blind to before. Passive voice...telling instead of showing...over-used plot devices...different uses of flashbacks...all of these things in their work helped me reconsider my own.

Their words also rekindled the word furnace in my own mind and I'm itching to get to work on the projects I've abandoned recently. I owe these two writers a big debt of gratitude for the inspiration and competitive itch their books gave me again.

I also got to have that thrill of being one of the first to read something new. It's like a weird little club or some secret I share with maybe 5 other people. As a writer, I know how scary it can be to share a story with someone else, especially if they will be critiquing it. There's a sense of trust there and I'm pretty honored to have had the experience.

Now that I'm done, I wish these two authors (you know who you are) success in the next steps of their books and hope to see future versions of the fresh manuscripts I saw. If you'll excuse me, I've got an ancient vampire that has been waiting on me to bring him to the present.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WIP Wednesday: Multiple Projects, Little Workspace

March is here and I'm hoping that means spring is just about here. I'm tired of being cold all the time! I sure do miss those warm Arizona days ... and the smell of orange blossoms.

Right now, I've got three projects going on my work table and am really enjoying my progress and the process.

'Secondhand Angel' is a broken bisque doll with brass wings, a monocle frame for a halo and a brass candle holder as a base. She's the antithesis of my 'Handsome Devil' and I love her for her simplicity.









'Pride' is another of my 'Seven Deadly Sins' pieces and he's a wee bisque doll who wears a base metal crown to show his importance but he isn't big enough to fit his ornate pedestal, a brass vase. He's done, except for maybe a clear coat of paint.




The last is an untitled piece and it's another Halloween clock assemblage. This one will feature an unconventional seating arrangement ... I don't want to spoil the surprise!

WIP Wednesday: A Cozy Fire

This little number is almost complete and I just want to shrink myself down so I can live in it! There was a lot of trial and error, but I think it is turning out great and I've learned a few things along the journey. There aren't a lot of "in-progress" photos because my hands were pretty inky while making it and I didn't want to ruin my camera or phone. Here's the low-down so far:



Supplies:
***All of the supplies for this project so far are Tim Holtz except for the LED lights and acrylic paints***
Vignette Tray (large)
Vignette Box
Vignette Frame
Vignette Hardware
Tiny Vials
Corked Vials
Bouquet
Skulls
Baroque Frame
Mini Pocket Watches
Lantern
Boneyard
Halloween Paper Stash (2017 and 2018)
Alcohol Inks in Gunmetal, Watermelon, Jet Black, Terra Cotta
Distress Stain in Walnut Stain
Distress Ink in Aged Mahogany, Candied Apple, Black Soot, Walnut Stain
Distress Collage Medium in Vintage
Perfect Pearls Gold
Scraps of cardboard packaging from the Sanding Block
T…

31 Tags of Halloween: Tag 31

My hands didn't bleed today but boy are they still dry and angry. More lotion is on the menu tonight.

This tag turned out so cool! There were many, many "oopsie" moments, as always, but I'm happy with it!

Supplies used include Tim Holtz Halloween paper stash and ephemera, brads, and stars. I used Distress Ink in Carved Pumpkin, Walnut Stain, and Black Soot and my Distress Marker in Black Soot too. Glossy Accents was my glue of choice and I typed up all of the text and images and printed them out on regular printer paper. There was one piece of Tim Holtz Collector Layers I used because the paper was a nice heft.

First, I traced and cut out my tag.

I flipped the Collector Layers piece over and traced out my pencil cup because the circle is wider than my tag. This is going to be my spinner piece. I cut it out and sectioned it out into eight wedges. I cut out the printed images and glued them to my spinner and then added Walnut Stain ink then used a thumb tack to make a …