Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Why clean when you can make tags?

I ask this question too often lately. On Saturday, I overhauled the Halloween Room (office) and there's still some fallout that needs attention. In total, I think I spent over 12 hours cleaning, moving, purging, and organizing over the weekend and last night I couldn't do it again. I was tired and stressed out from the day job. But I had new orange ink to try out.

This trio of tags are clipart from doverpictura.com and I used Tim Holtz® Mini Distress Ink Pads in Dried Marigold, Frayed Burlap, Forest Moss, and Stormy Sky. I also used Ranger® Archival Ink, but I cannot remember the color. Bad crafting form, I know… I also used Tim Holtz® ChitChat stickers. 

I printed up the images and cut them out, running a black marker along the cut edge of the paper so it didn't look so "new."  

Next, I high jacked my Tim Holtz® Alcohol Ink Applicator to apply layers of inks. I used the same felt pad for all of the colors, again, bad crafting form. I liked how each one is slightly different in hue.

Once the ink was dry, I added a bit of Ranger® Glossy Accents to the back of the images and glued them in place.

I picked out word stickers to go with each tag and applied them, running a fountain pen around the edges. I’m not overjoyed with how that looks, but it is what it is.


The temptation to add “just a little bit extra” is strong, but I don’t want to over-do them. Maybe some old ribbon or string though…




Friday, October 2, 2015

When crafts don't cooperate

I had yesterday off so I did a bit of crafting while waiting around for an appointment. I had a to-do list with all of the steps left to finish my Handsome Devil and for Step One, I added the rusting agent to the iron-painted skulls. They took hours to dry and when they dried...no rust. So I waited. This morning there's only a tiny bit of rust. When I get home, I'll need to add another coat of the rusting agent I guess. Sadly, that threw off completion of the rest of the steps.

While I grumped about it, I kept busy making another Halloween tag. This one was super easy--just dabbed on Ranger's Distressed Stain in Hickory Smoke on both sides and let it dry. It had a cloudy look to it because the blobs of stain bled together. The moon and skeleton are both Tim Holtz epehmera and I just added black marker to the cut edges of the paper so it didn't look so "new" and put a few foam mounting dots on them to give them a little depth. I might stamp something on the tag, but I kind of like it uncluttered.

Here's hoping my next blog post will be about a completed Handsome Devil!

Dance like no body is watching...